Resolved FPS drops

DareO

Hello. I just downloaded the game because it looks awesome, but I have a problem. When I start playing my FPS is 60. Then after some minutes it drops to 20 or even less.
My PC:
Win 7 HP 64-bit
Intel Core I3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz
8,0 GB RAM
Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD7870 2.0 GB

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hi DareO !

We recently closed some leaks that'll slow the game down over time, but there are still some present. Could you get us some details of what you're doing in-game, and maybe note what the top activities are with debug details on?

If you press F3 then F4 you should see debug stats along the top and left of the screen. The activities on the left will vary depending on what you're doing and will likely change over time as the FPS starts dropping. If you spot one or two specific processes that start taking up a lot of time let us know which they are.

It also helps to post your in-game graphic settings and what world type you're in :)

Also: Welcome!

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Also: if you downloaded the last stable build you can try it with the latest nightly build (unstable, but with all the fixes recently done).

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Oh, good point, the mesh fix might not be in the latest stable

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Major outstanding performance issue is now fixed in the latest unstable build - marking this as likely resolved :)

@DareO if you're still around and can verify that would be appreciated!

loderunner

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, my issues seemed similar.. ;)

I just downloaded the game in the last few days, and I've had some issues with FPS dropping as well..I really want to play this, it looks fantastic! I've been doing some hit and miss testing to improve performance, but nothing concrete yet. I'll let you know what I find. FPS start out about 55-60, and just drop...I'm standing still...looking around the world..mostly not moving..just staying in one spot...lowest I've seen them drop, was just now, launching through the website.. 2-3 FPS..

My System
Core i7 4790k 4.0 ghz
16 gb ram
Nvidia GTX 980
Windows 8.1

Thanks for reading.
loderunner

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hi @loderunner - best option is to post a new thread and just link to any old thread you think might relate. Especially one posted more than a year ago as the FPS situation has definitely changed, but probably both for the better and for the worse :)

There are certainly leaks and other issues that'll drop performance over time, usually they can be reset just going back to the main menu or reloading the game. Sometimes we find more severe issues that affect more specific systems. If you're just standing still then maybe that's the case - something in the game is acting worse on your system or something about your config is off and it might be possible to improve it.

You have plenty of hardware, so that should be no problem. With the debug text up add in F4 to see what counters are eating the most time. How is the memory looking - how fast does it rise and drop? How long does it take to drop the FPS how far? How does the local application differ from the website? Are you using the latest Omega zip from GitHub or something else? Exactly what world is it with what modules enabled? Which graphic settings? And so on. Details help :)

loderunner

Well, just a little bit of messing about with it, and I think I find the situation to be mostly visible in the "extreme" setting for distance. I backed it up to "mega" and dont seem to have that trouble. You mentioned memory, at one point I gave it all 16 gigs to play with..and it ate it all up and still choked on FPS...My system usually throws around most 3D worlds like they were nothing, but in this one...wow, not so much.. I'll make a note of your specifics and try to make notes as I encounter them. I'm using the Omega, 64 bit, latest as far as I know...I'll try the other version, again, maybe it was the culprit. Right now, I'm trying to get sticks and twigs to fall from a tree..in Through the ages...I think it might be a known issue, but all I've found so far is old posts..but its still happening to me...it drops unknown blocks... Anyway, thanks for your help, and for all the work you've done on this project, and taking over Destination Sol...not my cup of tea, but still very cool that you are maintaining the project. :)

Loderunner

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
This sounds similar to something I encountered some time ago (with a very similar system setup). Even just standing still could eat up all the memory available. The problem was gone once I changed the viewing distance. Interestingly, I could switch back to higher settings afterwards without running into the same problem. I'm not sure if we resolved it as related to old settings and configurations floating around and dismissed it as weird and not reproducible :D

prestidigitator

Contributor
Yeah, I've had trouble with Through the Ages too. It MIGHT have been resolved recently, but I'm not sure. The biggest problem I observed was the game using 80-100% of all 8 of my CPU cores. Sometimes it would do this for a few seconds and then drop back to using approximately 2 cores, but sometimes it would just stick on all 8 cores, even to the point of keeping the mouse cursor from appearing or a terminal from opening so I could kill the game. It actually overheated my CPU and shut my machine down 2-3 times (which, sure, is partially my fault for not having adequate cooling, but it is also the only time I've had it happen outside of really intense raytracing in Blender). It's not like this work was worth it, either, because as mentioned the frame rate also dropped to 0-2 FPS.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
In the very latest code TTA and several other things are broken, and we're about to break them all a whole lot more with a big merge :)

But yep it uses a lot of CPU for world generation and perhaps also world simulation (growth systems and such). Generally you feel a spike after creating a world and then moving, as new chunks generate. We need to optimize that some more, badly, any help is appreciated :geek:

@loderunner there was a recently known issue in TTA where one type of drop wasn't coming off trees. That was fixed but then we broke everything else ;) In general you can entirely start a game of TTA with the wrong world generator in which case you won't get any of the needed drops.

At this point I'd give it a little time, keep an eye out for the next release. It could be a little while - I was hoping to do one today but we have too much broken stuff. After the big merge we're going to have lots of broken stuff and it'll take a little while to fix everything :D