Eco

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Found this one on Kickstarter recently, looked like yet another small indie voxel title aiming for a 5-6 digit goal, figured they'd get it easily, alas if only we could pull that kind of support for writing code :D

They're working the ecological angle, as the name indicates, which is interesting enough. PvE only and the players can destroy the world if they aren't careful, and may not beat the race against an ultimate disaster later if not collaborating well enough.

Reminds me a bit of A Tale in the Desert which is somewhat rare to find references to, yet it was one of the most unusual MMOs I've ever participated in.

I didn't realize just how far they are pushing the education angle before I read an article on massivelyop.com - through that I learned they had gotten a nine hundred thousand dollar grant for pursuing the game's use in education. That pretty much beats the accumulation of every other voxel kickstarter out there. Very impressive. Also makes their own Kickstarter look tiny in comparison :)

I bumped up to the developer tier from beta to check it out deeper (source code and Trello access, etc). Am curious how they run the project, what tools they might be using, and so on. It almost seems a bit like an ecological analogue to my personal desire for Terasology - just with managing creature societies and such. Also gives me 4 alpha keys if anybody else is interested but not enough to pledge. Supposed to be available (in alpha) in a couple months.

manu3d

Contributor
Architecture
Looooooove the concept. In fact the concept of finite resources and collectively screwing up the world is something I wanted to eventually deal with in a mod for Terasology. I guess the idea has been taken then. =P

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
An idea is never taken. Think of them as the platonic forms, and we as humans build different implementations of them :cool:

They're doing ecology - cool. We should really do anthropology / sociology, just with creatures mixed in, some of them weird, so lets call them "teras" .. oh! I know! We'll call it "Terasology" ! :D