Suggested New background image(s)

msteiger

Contributor
World
Architecture
Logistics
I'd like to suggest using a different background image or even a set of images. The different menu screen headings are currently hardly visible due to the bright clouds in the background.

A few thoughts:

a) Make the heading font darker - doesn't look good with text shadows
d) Use desaturated/low contrast background images?
b) Maybe use one specific image for each menu screen?
c) Alternatively use animated transition of background images (just like for the website)
e) Replace the existing background image just because it's old (for the upcoming 1.0 release maybe?)

What do you guys think?

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
I agree with you. Maybe we can aim for a more artistic look (like the splash screen loader) instead of pure screenshots?

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
New image(s) ftw. I personally like the idea of shifting backgrounds like on the splash site, that way we can show off some of the modules as well, but I may be committing some sort of UX design sin by mentioning that.

One option not listed: Add a better/additional border around the text if needed? Should be able to get it to where the text is readable regardless of the background.

msteiger

Contributor
World
Architecture
Logistics
I agree - instead of adding a border around the caption we might want to rearrange the menu screen contents. The "Terasology" title and the subtitle cover almost half of the available space leaving not much room for the content. This is probably a different topic though.

Please post your screenshots/artistic drawings!

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Works for me. I don't know if there's enough attention here to bring about new images. Maybe a separate request in the Art forum or even a shout-out on social media for good screenshots to add.

msteiger

Contributor
World
Architecture
Logistics
I like the social media shout-out idea. Should we give it a try?

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I got @chessandgo on the case as well, although 5k resolution screenshots might be overkill ;)

Will post a thing Saturday early my time to see if we can get some community screenshots. Will also advertise our bounties a bit just in case there are any lazy contributors on the fence, reading.

chessandgo

Contributor
Hunter

Some basic low quality ones for now. Still need pictures of other modules like JS and polyworld

chessandgo

Contributor
Hunter

If any of you have requests, voice them, since i've just been aimlessly dicking around with the world terrain gererators and graphical settings.

imgur did a number on the 5k images, so i'll just directly upload it via imgur once we get them picked out.

we should really have some commands to alter day/night cycle. change speed, intervals **PAUSE** it, etc

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Yikes man use thumbnails! :D

You can insert as thumbnails while the originals can be viewed in the little gallery thing :)

I like the really broad shots, but when I try to make those I'll angle it so you can't see spots that haven't generated yet. Also what's up with the duplicates? Super subtle differences?

Could you prune down the dupes and shots that show ungenerated chunks please then thumbnail them? Thanks for doing this I'm sure we can use some of those :)

Maybe throw in a few L&S shots and one with a few deers visible ("spawnPrefab deer" in console) - or some Oreons perhaps?

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
+1 for the top-down shot (can you do some more for the different terrain? Maybe water, grass, and mountains?)
+1 for the single mountain

I really like those two because they have a clean look/shape and will likely not distract the menu. All the other screenshots are well suited for a new gallery to show off our awesome world gen :)

msteiger

Contributor
World
Architecture
Logistics
Thanks @chessandgo - there are certainly a few that can be used. @Cervator maybe you can make a list of those that go into the art gallery and those that should be used for ingame background images?

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Thanks @chessandgo - there are certainly a few that can be used. @Cervator maybe you can make a list of those that go into the art gallery and those that should be used for ingame background images?
Be my guest! Just grab a few pictures of your choice, shrink them down, add them in. You don't need my blessing :)

I can grab the lot of them for bulk posting on social media in a couple days. Leaving NYC tomorrow morning.