Question How to update

Bill Curran

I'm a non-gamers who installed terasology for my grandsom from Softsonic. It's pre-alpha. How do I update the game to current stable. Not good with gamer jargon. Please keep basic and specific. Hope I;'m not asking too much.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hi @Bill Curran and welcome! Not asking too much at all.

At present Alpha 5 is the latest stable release, with Alpha 6 likely released tomorrow, so I'd suggest waiting a day if able, then grab Alpha 6.

Releases are downloaded from https://github.com/MovingBlocks/Terasology/releases - find the "Latest Release" entry and download TerasologyOmega.zip. Place it somewhere suitable on your computer, extract the zip file (usually right click the file then Extract), run the game via Terasology.x64.exe (assuming you're using a Windows PC)

If that doesn't work just let us know here and we'll figure it out. It is advisable to start a new world after you upgrade :)

Bill Curran

Thank you for your quick reply. Do I delete my existing Terasology or overwrite effected files in my current Terasology folder?

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Thank you for your quick reply. Do I delete my existing Terasology or overwrite effected files in my current Terasology folder?
Best to delete the whole thing for now then replace :)

We have a separate game launcher that can help maintain one or more local installations including game data but that might be overkill in this case.

If you've had an old installation before it likely has a game data dir somewhere away from the place you put the game files. On Windows that'd be something like C:\Users\[username]\Saved Games\Terasology. If you encounter issues running the updated game also deleting that game data dir may help.

Bill Curran

Just got 6, thank you. But, it can't find my very up-to-date java installation. Had the same problem with 5. So, I downloaded Terasology from Softonic and that version, very old, had no problem with Java. What to do?
Bill

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
The version in Softonic may come wrapped with its own Java. But we don't maintain that one and it can be risky to download from unofficial third party sites.

If you already have an up-to-date version of Java then your OS likely isn't configured in the regular way that help Java apps find the Java runtime. The easiest way to solve that is usually just installing Java again, from https://www.java.com

If that doesn't help or you would rather not install it again then we need to look at configuring your system PATH or JAVA_HOME which gets a slight bit more technical. Let us know what you prefer :)

Bill Curran

I reinstalled Java and restarted. Programs and features show 2 installations of Java now, 8.111 and 8.112. Javapath is C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath. Terasology is still not finding Java. I believe the relavent enviromental veriable info is in the screenshot attached
2016-11-29 05_38_59-Environment Variables.png
:

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath is a very peculiar path, I've never seen a Java installer suggest anything like that. Usually you get something like C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_111

Was that simply the path you chose to install Java to? What makes it more peculiar is that new installations usually add their directory at the end of the Path variable, yet that one is near the beginning, indicating it is old. And since it is near the beginning it'll get preference over anything added to the end.

Unless you are sure you installed a Java 8 to C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath I would remove that from the Path then add a new entry to the end of Path (if there isn't already one there) containing the directory you installed Java 8 to (which usually will look like the example I put above)

It could very well makes sense that you'd have trouble getting the right Java recognized if you have an old quirky one stuck near the beginning of the Path variable :)

AvaLanCS

Contributor
Hi @Cervator ,

The path C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath is a kind of symbolic link for windows, there the files point to your currently set java directory. This is oracle's attempt at making it possible to have multiple java runtimes installed, and easy to change the default.

@Bill Curran can you please check that directory, and see where those files point?

Attached an image how it looks like on my windows 7

Attachments

Bill Curran

sed
This is a new computer (less than a month) with a fresh install of win 10 and of Java (and everything else). Jave installer just used default settings. All I did was click OK. C:\Users\user\Desktop\2016-12-02 21_31_59-javapath.png = screen shot

Oh, the links go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_112\bin

Attachments

Last edited:

AvaLanCS

Contributor
That is okay then. One last test: can you open a terminal and type in
Code:
java -version
and post a screenshot of the result here? In windows 10 if you press the windows button, then start typing "Command Prompt" then it should appear, and you can click on it to open.

AvaLanCS

Contributor
Your computer seems to find java just fine then.
Can you tell me what you meant by
But, it can't find my very up-to-date java installation
? Can you also post a screenshot about when you try to start the game?

Bill Curran

The error message is that Terasology can not find java 8. The "8" part I just noticed! I've confirmed that my shortcut links to the correct (11/28/16) version. I deleted all other versions from my HD before installation of vrs 6, BTW. Skipping the shortcut and
D. clicking the exe file has the same result just in case you were wondering. Here's another screenshot just to back up my statements.

Attachments

Last edited:

AvaLanCS

Contributor
Thank you!

I think the problem is that your java installation is 32 bit (hence Program Files(x86) folder) and you're trying to start the 64 bit exe of Terasology. For now you can try starting Terasology.x86.exe, but I recommend downloading and installing a version of java that says 64 bit. I think at my workplace I had the same problem once, because the java homepage automatically recommends the 32 bit version, even thought you have 64 bit windows 10.