Intro Hi Everyone!

Taylor

• Name: Taylor
  • Social: https://github.com/trivialpants/
  • Skills / Tools: C++/Python/Java
  • Minor Skills: Web development & Database (SQL)
  • Found via: Github Explore
  • Interests: I have basic knowledge about each of my skills, and I would like to strengthen them with more experience and actual programming on a project. I have graduated from university, and I haven't been successful in finding a job which utilizes my programming skills quite yet, and I want to strengthen these skills to become a better candidate for a job.
  • Extra: I also want to work on team-work, project & time-management and my creativity. I think this project will help me to push out of my comfort zone and do things I didn't think I could.
It's great to see such a friendly community. I hope I can contribute with my small skillset and limited knowledge, and I hope to learn along with you.

Thanks,
Taylor (trivialpants)

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hi @Taylor and welcome! :)

We are in the GitHub Explore thing again somehow? We ended up in a showcase a little while ago, was neat to see.

Working on a project like this can definitely help your skills and resume. Team work and organizing are also hugely important and something we need more volunteers for. We got into Google Code-In which finally made it obvious there's just too much going on right now for our little team to stay on top of. Thus why there are still a bunch of recent forum threads awaiting responses and nearly 20 engine PRs pending on GitHub.

As far as game dev goes, have you set up to run Terasology from source yet, and have you checked some of the initial pages in our GitHub wiki, maybe browsed the issue tracker a bit? You could also check out some of the engine PRs to get a feel for how our workflow works and how big changes can be. It can all be quite interesting if you're into the kind of stuff.

Looking forward to working with you! Just bear with the occasional busy/quiet times since we all have that pesky RL thing continuing to get in the way :D

Taylor

Thanks for the reply! I'm excited to work when I have the time (and make the time). I have run the game from source successfully, and run through a couple of the 'more info' tutorials on the Github page - I see there is a lot to learn. I'm excited to learn and apply the knowledge. Thanks!

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Hi and welcome!

Do you have any specific areas you are interested in? We can get you up to speed, often you just need to know who to ask ;) Even though you have already graduated, you can take the example GSOC tasks as guideline for some bigger projects. To start of smaller, have a look at "bite-sized" GitHub issues, both in the engine and related repos such as modules, the launcher, etc.

Good to have you on board!