Andrew *orange451* Hamilton

orange451

• From: From redwood California, now live at my boarding school in Washington Ct.
  • Skills / Tools: 1 year of Java, 6 years of GML. passed the AP Computer Science exam with a 4/5, after only taking java for 4 months :3 I use eclipse for my Java programming
  • Found via: in a related search on youtube, for my 2d minecraft game, mineblock
  • Interests: I am interested in programming,I have been since I was7 years old. I also do a little bit of artwork, but it really isn't my most enjoyable field.
  • Extra: I made a 2d minecraft game, in java, that reached 9,000 players ;D

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Welcome! And nice job on that 2D game! :)

Anything in particular you'd like to contribute to here, or any special notes from your game you'd like to share?

orange451

Cervator said:
Welcome! And nice job on that 2D game! :)

Anything in particular you'd like to contribute to here, or any special notes from your game you'd like to share?
In my 2d minecraft game, I had a pretty decent logging system, where I had a php script on my site return true (if in the parameters, I supplied the username, and an encrypted password). to acess this file, I used an HTTP request. I could make that for the game, when you're ready for an account system.

I have a lot of experience with 3d, but not as much in Java, I've only learned the JPCT library, but I can't imagine they're too much different.

I might also be able to help along the lines of putting all the textures into 1 file, rather than each texture being a seperate imagefile. I would just have to learn UV mapping for LWJGL, which again, I can't imagine would be too hard :3

If there is anything in particular that you need help with, I'll see if I can also provide assistance there :3

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
orange451 said:
I might also be able to help along the lines of putting all the textures into 1 file, rather than each texture being a seperate imagefile. I would just have to learn UV mapping for LWJGL, which again, I can't imagine would be too hard :3
Hehe, we just finished actually moving from the single-file to multi-file approach there :D

I figured multi-file textures would be a boon for user-contributed content, while for the app itself the individual files are spliced into a single texture file for the one world it was prepared for.

If you've done some multiplayer-style work, and are happy to learn new stuff, then here's a challenge should you choose to accept! Research available network libraries in Java we might be able to use to implement multiplayer, and report back here (well, to the dev forum, not this thread) with the results and your impression of each option.

I only know of two, tho I haven't spent any time looking (as I don't have a lot of time), so I'm sure there's more stuff out there. JMonkeyEngine has its own SpiderMonkey framework, although it looks pretty basic. RedDwarfServer is a much more interesting option, but has a very specific implementation (task-based usage of managed objects), and might be sort of quirky. What else might there be?

orange451

I don't think I'd be of much help with networking. I understand the concept of it 100%, but I've never actually been able to figure out how to do it in Java :/

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
That's why we want to find a higher-level networking framework - none of us want to program with sockets directly :D

This would be more of a research piece than any sort of implementation :)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Yep! That sounds like a good candidate. Now we just need more options and a comparison between them to help figure out what candidate would be ideal :)

JGN listing physics synchronization for one sounds very relevant to our interests :D

Immortius

Lead Software Architect
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
Another network library that may be worth a look is KryoNet. Was doing a bit of research the other day.

Also hi orange451. :)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Interesting - another networking candidate to add to the list - thanks! :)