Any backend coding needed?

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Burning Board looks like what Philaxx uses over at http://terasologyforum.de - I see both a free version and a paid version though. Unsure what difference it makes, but I personally prefer the smooth XF style - Burning Board looks too traditional IMHO :)

We also lucked out and got XF for free via a license AlbireoX had laying around unused. After that myself and begla have put a little money into some premium plugins and I don't mind that at all, free isn't always best and coders need to eat too.

mike - I love the GitHub OAuth integration! Do you think even listed modules themselves could closely integrate with GitHub? Seeing some GitHubby icons/links on there. I really like the idea of integrations with GH and XF. Perfect world we'd go with the best from this, terasologymods.net, and whatever we can get out of XF and GH.

If our sites end up sort of "wrapping" content mostly hosted on GitHub that would help with traffic spike concerns, even if our main webhost got melted everything would still available on GH, just might be missing some polish/integrations (and of course forum commenting and Jenkins history - but that's not critical)

Edit: To clarify, when I mean better integration between modules and GitHub I'm thinking about the "new" structure where modules are stored in their own independent GitHub repos. Meaning they could also have their own issue tracker, wiki, etc - which could be linked to / pulled in somehow. As an example a link to a module's issue tracker on GitHub could list # active/closed issues, or a link to a wiki list number of pages.

mike

What do you exactly mean by closely integration with github? :) For now those modules are just binded to the repos on gh. They just share those basic stats like number of watchers, forks etc. but in the future, i could make it 'closer'. The only thing that stops me is the server speed and lack of content to test it on. So, what i would love to have:

1. Better server. Anyone? Apache server (SSH access REALLY welcome) with mod_passenger installed would do the trick.

2. Database of several(dozen?) modules added to the app. It would help me to test if everything works fine.

Things i'd love to implement next:

1. README displayed on single module page (fetched from github repo)

2. Commenting system (i'm not sure about it yet. It can be also synchronized with xenforo topics. If there would be a special sub-forum for modules, each module could have it's own official topic and posts would be automatically fetched from it. I'm open to any suggestions.)

3. Possibility to create a 'edit suggestion' by any user of the app. Based on revisions system, just like on wikipedia.

4. ...any suggestions or ideas?

I personally think that xenforo is a really sweet script. It has everything it should :)

NowNewStart

Contributor
Yeah, that is Burning Board :D The features between Lite and Full is, you have much more features! Go and look over woltlab.com and see the Video of Burning Board 4 Beta, it's looking awesome! :)
Module Developers should create a own Entry to their Mod with Name, Version, Author and the most important: GitHub Repo Link.
The Page should do the rest, reading out the readme, size and the other things.
I don't know but eventually we could make all this with the GitHub API.
We could inbound the topics, but that could be a bit complicated, must be tried.
When not, I can give my Comment System :)
To the 3. What's the use of this?

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
NowNewStart - I'd want to automate most of that. Starts with somebody asking Gooey on IRC to create a new module, everything just rolls in place after that

mike - I can get you set up with SSH access to our webhost if you would also be interested in helping to maintain it. I'll need a key in Putty format, I think, it usually takes a few tries before we get the right format, really should write that down ;)

I talked to Philaxx a bit on IM and he's interested in applying some stuff to the design of terasologymods.net (he also has multiple hosts himself one of which hosts that site) - although the main challenge is that his stuff is in Ruby :fluttercry: If you contact him (convo here on forum? I asked him to look at this thread sometime) he can probably get you access to its codebase somehow.

I'm not sure what's better, I just want a pretty system that works :D

As for closer integration with GitHub I mainly mean stuff like listing stats and linking things. Not to mention pulling stuff from there in the first place automagically (akin to Jenkins CI's public plugin list) Fun-to-have would include starring a GitHub module project from the mod-listing site, or similar. May not be a lot of point to that (yet)

DB stuff - unsure what we need to keep in a DB. Philaxx has comments and such in his system, as well as ratings. We could start parsing stuff out of the extracted modules under the Nanoware org on GitHub, or soon the Terasology org. Of course as I write this GitHub appears to be experiencing issues from where I'm at.

The idea of synchronizing comments with XF threads is very interesting. That's another one of those "close integration" points I like. A mod tracker is likely a separate site but we can still make a XF tab that forwards to it and style the sites similarly so they almost appear to be the same site. Yet the tracker can be used entirely independently as well.

Not sure what's meant with the "edit suggestion" myself :)

In the ideal world each module would have their GitHub wiki enabled as "official documentation", could import a main page from to a section on the mod tracker. Or a readme. Or something like that. Which would be editable without us having to do anything.

Oh, this may also tie to my crazy schemes of updating GitHub wikis via scripting and Git, since said wikis are backed by actual Git repos. General stats that can be parsed out of module.txt and help files.