WIP Block Tile Additions

metouto

Contributor
Art
Cervator ..... Here is what I am trying to do ..... make 2-5 tiles to show a difference between Block tiles within a single block to give options of choice for different uses.

Here is the first one I have done & wanted to get feedback if I am going in the right way for use ....

Alabaster1.png
Alabaster1
Alabaster2.png
Alabaster2
Alabaster.png
Alabaster
Alabaster3.png
Alabaster3
Alabaster4.png
Alabaster4
Alabaster5.png
Alabaster5

.... The third tile is the original tile ..... I have used color contrast/brightness to create 1-5 tiles to slightly alter the original tile.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Yep that's pretty good!

I think in general try to vary the individual pixels at the existing color moreso than changing the overall color of the texture. That's more subtle - otherwise the blocks stand out too much against each other due to the full color change :)

It is fine to have the color slightly off for individual pixels though, IMHO. And long-term we might find a way to use shaders or other 3d wizardry to blend adjacent blocks together better (nothing to worry about yet though)

metouto

Contributor
Art
Cervator .... I know you have a lot on your plate (real life stuff) so I went ahead and changed the Alabaster tile to this ....

Alabaster.png
Alabaster
Alabaster1.png
Alabaster1
Alabaster2.png
Alabaster2
Alabaster3.png
Alabaster3
Alabaster4.png
Alabaster4

This 1st tile is the original tile 1,2,3,4 all have pixel changes in them but contrast/brightness is the same in all 4 tiles. If I were to guess this is what you had in mind or at least closer than my first post :coffee:

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Nice work, the second approach has some nice variations without being too obvious.

I've tested the tiles in-game real quick (just throw them in the
auto folder of a module ;)), you can see the screenshot below. I'd say you should give the texture borders a bit more love, but that's a bit nitpicking :coffee:
Terasology-150202163257-1152x720.jpeg

metouto

Contributor
Art
........I'd say you should give the texture borders a bit more love, but that's a bit nitpicking :coffee:
Good catch Skaldarnar ..... and I will work on that border ;) it will make the transition from one tile to the other more smoother :coffee:

metouto

Contributor
Art
One more try before I have to get ready for work .......

Alabaster.png
Alabaster
Alabaster1.png
Alabaster1
Alabaster2.png
Alabaster2
Alabaster3.png
Alabaster3
Alabaster4.png
Alabaster4

The borders should be better now:coffee:

Last edited:

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
There you go :thumbsup: Good job!

The left-most block in the bottom row (and top row, second from right) is "Alabaster1" - it still looks a bit smudgy compared to the other variants, but the borders are really smooth now :) Maybe adding a bit more noise to "Alabaster1" is enough for the final touch ;) I'm looking forward to more block tile contributions :rolleyes:
Terasology-150203142234-1152x720.jpeg

metouto

Contributor
Art
Alabaster1 has now been changed :omg: if that is a good one I will move on and have some more done :coffee:
Again thanks Skaldarnar for posting those pictures :coffee:

Alabaster1.png
Alabaster1

(@Skaldarnar I am very happy with you posting the pictures for me:cool: but I do not want to get in the way or add to your burdens here at the forums:eek: ...... so if you want me to do it .... could you write the steps by step of how you place my tiles into a picture and then post them into the forum? Then I will try it :whistle:) :coffee:

Last edited:

metouto

Contributor
Art
TVs not so good so here are a few more tiles .......

Abenakiite.png
Abenakiite
Abenakiite1.png
Abenakiite1
Abenakiite2.png
Abenakiit2
Abenakiite3.png
Abenakiite3
Abenakiite4.png
Abenakiite4

Alunite.png
Alunite
Alunite1.png
Alunite1
Alunite2.png
Alunite2
Alunite3.png
Alunite3
Alunite4.png
Alunite4

metouto

Contributor
Art
Andesite.png
Andesite
Andesite1.png
Andesite1
Andesite2.png
Andesite2
Andesite2.png
Andesite3
Andesite3.png
Andesite4

Anhydrite.png
Anhydrite
Anhydrite1.png
Anhydrite1
Anhydrite2.png
Anhydrite2
Anhydrite3.png
Anhydrite3
Anhydrite4.png
Anhydrite4

Last edited:

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
No worries, you're welcome ;) Its a good excuse for starting Terasology up from time to time :D I'll prepare a quick step-by-step guide (or search for it in the wiki - not sure if it is hiding somewhere).

In short: If you got the game source cloned from GitHub, you can just add new block tiles under
'modules/Core/auto' - there should already be our CompanionCube ;) In the game, you can retrieve the new block via the tile's file name. For instance, if you add Alabaster1.png in the auto folder you'll get the auto-created block ingame via 'giveBlock Alabaster1' (without the file extension).

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Nice work @metouto !

Yeah I set him up with a fresh clone from GitHub including Minerals, Soils, and WildAnimals for the fun of it. So it should be doable to use the auto dir in the minerals module, and we push to GitHub straight from there :)

@metouto: Simply put the .pngs at C:\Dev\Terasology\modules\Minerals\assets\blockTiles\auto (you'll have to make the "auto" directory, it isn't there yet). So for instance C:\Dev\Terasology\modules\Minerals\assets\blockTiles\auto\Alabaster1.png

If you then start the game you should be able to get the blocks via console like @Skaldarnar highlights :) Just be sure to click the Modules button and have "Minerals" active!

This also works well for organizing, since we have the original Alabaster one level higher and its variants under /auto - I'm sure we can make a way to easily link the block definitions later

metouto

Contributor
Art
Thanks for the help :D....... but I could not get anything to come up to help me find the 'giveBlock ':cry:

It has been to long (and things have changed) sense I last played. Hopfully I can get it going soon:confused:

@Skaldarnar ..... if you want ....... you can post a picture + comments of the tiles I have done so far .... at least I will get to see what they look like a little sooner :geek:

thank you :notworthy: could not have done it without @Skaldarnar 's help:)

@metouto: Simply put the .pngs at C:\Dev\Terasology\modules\Minerals\assets\blockTiles\auto (you'll have to make the "auto" directory, it isn't there yet). ......
I did get this done and I'm 99.9% :omg: sure it is even in the right place :coffee:

metouto

Contributor
Art
Here are some more tiles ....

Anthracite.png
Anthracite
Anthracite1.png
Anthracite1
Anthracite2.png
Anthracite2
Anthracite3.png
Anthracite3
Anthracite4.png
Anthracite4

Arsenic.png
Arsenic
Arsenic1.png
Arsenic1
Arsenic2.png
Arsenic2
Arsenic3.png
Arsenic3
Arsenic4.png
Arsenic4

I'm not sure how the Anthracite tile will come out because it looks to have more of a pattern than the ones I have done so far. Arsenic makes me think of lava :coffee:

metouto

Contributor
Art
While mining this first tile don't breath to much of the air without a good mask of some kind:cautious:

Asbestos.png
Asbestos
Asbestos1.png
Asbestos1
Asbestos2.png
Asbestos2
Asbestos2.png
Asbestos3
Asbestos4.png
Asbestos4

AuriferousQuartz.png
AuriferousQuartz
AuriferousQuartz1.png
AuriferousQuartz1
AuriferousQuartz2.png
AuriferousQuartz2
AuriferousQuartz3.png
AuriferousQuartz3

AuriferousQuartz4.png
AuriferousQuartz4

There are my offerings for today :coffee:

Attachments

metouto

Contributor
Art
Just one quick upload before I leave for work .....

Azurite.png
Azurite
Azurite1.png
Azurite1
Azurite2.png
Azurite2
Azurite3.png
Azurite3
Azurite4.png
Azurite4

..... that is it for today folks :coffee:

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
You're like a firehose of block tiles @metouto ! I thought mineral variants would keep you busy for a while, but at this rate they'll all have variants in no time :)

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Huge image post incoming :D

(1) Abenakiite - looks pretty awesome!
Terasology-150205132913-1152x720_0003_Background.jpg

(2) Alunite - looks great as well, only the first texture should probably get some refinement on the right edge...
Terasology-150205132913-1152x720_0002_Layer 1.jpg

(3) Andesite - the first texture is definitively too smooth. The other 4 tiles look very similar, maybe you can rotate one or two of them (90° or 180°).
Terasology-150205132913-1152x720_0001_Layer 2.jpg

(4) Anhydrite - looks pretty good, yet again the first texture looks a bit smudgy...
Terasology-150205132913-1152x720_0000_Layer 3.jpg

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
(5) Anthracite - the light top-right corner does not line up with neighboring tiles. You should try to either isolate the light patch in the middle of the texture or try to make it seamless (I think there is a filter or function in Gimp that does that for you. If it does not work or the result is really bad, try the offset technique explained in this tutorial.). And again, the first tile is more blurred than the rest.
Terasology-BlockTiles_0004_Layer 1.jpg

(6) Arsenic - just perfect, nothing to add here :)
Terasology-BlockTiles_0003_Layer 2.jpg

(7) Asbestos - again the first tile being blurry ... and some of the borders might need some work. But these are definitely minor issues ;)
Terasology-BlockTiles_0002_Layer 3.jpg

(8) AuriferousQuartz - first tile again. The rest looks pretty good!
Terasology-BlockTiles_0001_Layer 4.jpg

(9) Azurite - I really like this one! Yet again, the first tile is smoother than the rest, although I somehow like the smooth look, eh :)
Terasology-BlockTiles_0000_Layer 5.jpg

metouto

Contributor
Art
Thank you Thank you Thank you Skaldarnar :D The First one in every batch of tiles is the original block type. It looks like it is (most of the time) going to look bad compared to the rest. I just need to change it as I change the rest :cool: I knew that Anthracite was going to be a tough one but was not sure how to change it, Thanks for the suggestions on that one ;)

Again thanks for the help .... my intellij is not running at this time so I could not make the pictures to see how the tiles worked together .... maybe I can get @Cervator to look at it some weekend. I work 2nd shift and get home about the time he is going to bed:coffee: