Inactive Crafting

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
This system is awesome, Adeon, I like it a lot.

Your UI tweaks seem to fit well into the game, especially the "mini-inventory" seems usefull (maybe not only for crafting...). I think I'll give you more feedback after trying this out :)

metouto

Contributor
Art
:love: Super job:love: @Adeon , and thanks for the Text from video because my hearing is not the greatest in the world (just ask my wife :whistle:) :coffee:

Also ... is there a way to download the video so one could have a copy of it to refer to ???

Adeon

terasology.ru
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
Logistics
Soon I will add a furnace and a fireplace(needs Patricle System =( ) with smelting process

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Woo it works! I have created a torch! And a pickaxe! And a staircase! And things needed to make those! :pinkiecrazy:

Incredible work, Adeon ! I was able to figure it all out except the use of 'q' - unsure what to do with it, but don't really need it anyway so I'm happy!

Putting some comments on the pull request. Car shopping ate way too much of my evening so not merging code tonight for me, sad :(

And soon we can have furnaces and fireplaces to smelt stuff? Yay!

Edit: Btw - Adeon - your narration reminds me a little of CCP Guard from EVE Online - lots of very entertaining videos, hehe. Posted video to social outlets :)

metouto

Contributor
Art
I was able to figure it all out except the use of 'q' - unsure what to do with it ..... :)
......Press and hold the key “ Q ” and you will see graduations around the crosshair. One graduation is 1/6 of the total number of the elements in the cell. That is the 3 graduations complete 50 percent of the total number of the elements in the cell (it is around 2:00 or so into the video)

But I bet this is not what you meant Cervaor :coffee:

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
That's the thing yeah. After reviewing some of the instructions I get the idea I might need to try using the left/right mouse buttons at the same time :)

Tomorrow tho! Sleepy time.

Immortius

Lead Software Architect
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
I put some technical comments in the Pull Request.

On the mechanics side of things - have you considered simplifying things by removing dealing with quantities of items in each slot? Instead the crafting block could act as a blueprint the player defines using objects they have (without them being removed), and then could invoke to build the result, with the required items being removed from their inventory. Or something like that.

I have to admit I am not much of a fan of Minecraft's crafting system, and this is just Minecraft's system except more complicated (due to The Third Dimension). That is a matter of taste though.

Adeon

terasology.ru
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
Logistics
I put some technical comments in the Pull Request.
Ok, thank you. I'm correcting it tommorow in the morning=)

On the mechanics side of things - have you considered simplifying things by removing dealing with quantities of items in each slot?
Yep =)

In order to add and delete items you don’t need to click it each time. Simply keep the mouse button pressed. As you see life became easier. But not completely . I don’t like the speed of adding or removing the elements in the crafting blocks. That’s why I added the ability to the accelerate or decelerate of the addition or removal items. In order to do that you need to keep the mouse button pressed and drag mouse up or down. But it’s slowly. There is another way. Press and hold the key “ Q ” and you will see graduations around the crosshair. One graduation is 1/6 of the total number of the elements in the cell. That is the 3 graduations complete 50 percent of the total number of the elements in the cell.
Instead the crafting block could act as a blueprint the player defines using objects they have (without them being removed), and then could invoke to build the result, with the required items being removed from their inventory. Or something like that.
I think so too.=))

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
As for design I realize this isn't too far from good ole MC, although I think the third dimension has potential for making it very neat, especially if you can just "pick up" a craft block as a true block rather than even trigger a recipe. In addition to that then you can include options like multi-block craft surfaces on top of furniture.

Mainly I wanted the in-world crafting as opposed to using a GUI. While there could be more interesting ways to craft I thought this would be a good start. Heck I was only expecting 2D full blocks on the ground, then Adeon went and made it super nifty instead :D

Down the road I expect we could see in-world machines with slots in a few places (which later yet could probably be serviced by tubes) where you could place little blocks like this.

Using creatures to craft instead would then be my desired "next step" quantity upgrade where instead of using the grid yourself you just indicate to the creatures what to do - maybe by placing a "craft block" in a strategic location and interacting with the creatures in some fashion (Menus? Saying things? Frobbing the pig?). That way you just use the stage 1 crafting a few times for an item before you can then use that to upgrade to a creature or machine-based approach :)

Edit: I think this could become sort of like a 3D version of the "project table" in BuildCraft, IndustrialCraft, or whichever mod contained that. Use the 3D grid crafting to design something, then either use it as a blueprint to fashion items from stock or as instructions for machinery/creatures.

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
I have seen the craftplace parameter, that one speaks to my imagination... for now it's a boolean, but could it be that in the future you could have to specify what block you can craft in / on, making certain recipes bound to the type of block you activate, maybe even following Immotius logic, propose you a recipe when you activate it? Say I have a simple recipe of 1 plank, but depending on the machine I put it in, it either gives me mulch or planks? To far gone as an idea?

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I have seen the craftplace parameter, that one speaks to my imagination... for now it's a boolean, but could it be that in the future you could have to specify what block you can craft in / on, making certain recipes bound to the type of block you activate, maybe even following Immotius logic, propose you a recipe when you activate it? Say I have a simple recipe of 1 plank, but depending on the machine I put it in, it either gives me mulch or planks? To far gone as an idea?
I absolutely would want to see that go deeper - goes well with "tech level" since a higher quality crafting tool could yield more output or indeed an output of a different sort :)

Josh

Contributor
Hunter
And craft place can't be a liquid, invisible and penetrable. =)

Wow! I need MOAR ideas!!! =)
Maybe if after you crafted the item/block the thing you crafted floated in the air while rotating and then flew into you (Then going into your inventory), That would be cool, also with a little poof particle effect. :D

Nym Traveel

Contributor
Art
World
Maybe even a count of the things you need for the crafting? (default 1)
(Thinking of things like -this- or in general things that need a ratio for the items used)

Josh

Contributor
Hunter
Maybe even a count of the things you need for the crafting? (default 1)
(Thinking of things like -this- or in general things that need a ratio for the items used)
That would work better for the furnace not really in crafting, unless there were some items that needed the multiple items to create it. Like the alloy furnace, it uses realistic amounts of resources to create a new resource.

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
I've got three questions, Adeon:
  1. How do you determine/resolve the block-/itemnames in the recepies? I tried to use "oakTrunk" in one, but it does not seem to work properly (I also tried "oak Trunk", "engine:eek:akTrunk"). Maybe you can use the get BlockURI from the Commands class, as it is done for console commands!?
  2. After solving the first problem above, can I use the refinement keyword to produce planks from wood? It would be pretty much the same as refining stone, just get 4 planks. By the way, can you please give me a more detailed information on how to use the refinement part correctly?
  3. Is it possible to assign more than one recipe to a block? E.g. I want to add some more recipes to make the game more "playable", including getting wooden planks out of the different wood types. Therefore, I would need at least 3 recipes/refinements for "wood -> plank".
Keep going with work ;)

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
uch I was using some crafted chests, but they all share the same inventory? Is this by design?