Intro Curin

Curin

• Name: Andrew 'Curin' Davis
  • Social: GitHub : Twitter
  • Skills / Tools: I have experience with C# as my main language, but java, C++, and lua as well. I have used DirectX. I also have experience with 3D modeling software such as blender, Maya, and 3DS Max. I also have experience using Photoshop for various 2D work.
  • Found via: Google Summer of Code
  • Interests: I'm mainly interested in working on the rendering capabilities of Terasology at the moment, but most of the areas being worked in sound really interesting.
  • Extra: Though this cannot be found on my GitHub or very many places I am working on a DirectX based modular engine (not voxel based), which is my current large project.

manu3d

Contributor
Architecture
Hi Curin, welcome aboard.

We could certainly use some help down in the pixel forge. Your knowledge on DirectX I'm sure would help even though Terasology is an OpenGL-based project. Over the past year or so I am the only person that has worked primarily (albeit sporadically) on the rendering engine, mainly refactoring it so that it is no longer a daunting (if highly functional) area of the codebase. Right in these days I will be submitting PRs completing the refactoring of top-level rendering classes I started many months ago. Stay tuned for that.

Meanwhile, let us know how we can assist you.

Curin

Hey Manu,

Hopefully I can get to helping out. Recently I've been spending a lot of time doing research on voxel based systems, so hopefully I'll be able to help out.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hello @Curin and welcome! :)

We definitely need more 3d wizards, please do help out!

As far as GSOC goes it will be tricky to secure a spot at this point due to demand, few slots, and some students having had weeks to get ahead with code and proposals. Yours could probably use a bit more structure, like a timeline of some sort.

We're happy to have you around in any case :)

Curin

Hi Cervator,

I would really hope that I could get into GSOC, but if I can't that doesn't mean I won't still help out. The only difference is that Terasology will be put on the back burner rather than be my main priority, but I would still like to work on it. I'll try and create a tentative timeline, but I have no clue how long most of what I'm looking at doing will take as I've not written it before. I've read the white papers and know the theory but theory and implementation are two different things. That being said I did have a general idea of how long I wanted to spend on each step to hopefully be on target and I'll add that to the proposal as soon as I can.

In any case, it's nice to have the warm welcome.

Curin

I did add a timeline to the proposal. It is very tentative but is about the pace of how I would like the project to go. Some of the work may get done faster, some may take longer, but that would be my goal for where I would want to be and when throughout the project's life cycle.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
The only difference is that Terasology will be put on the back burner rather than be my main priority
Yep that's pretty much how it works for all of us already :D

A GSOC student (or two, or maybe even three) getting a stipend to work on the game would be the first time somebody is ever working on the game as a sort of primary job. It would be cool but we've gotten this far on unpaid volunteers alone so there is much more cool stuff coming that way still :)

Thanks for adding the timeline!

Curin

Yep that's pretty much how it works for all of us already :D
Yeah, and I definitely want to keep up with this project even with out the stipend. Just makes it easier to devote time to it, and I really do want to try and devote time to this.