Developement suggestions and ideas

G&C

Hello again,
this is our first Developement-Topic,
here we will post our ideas and we need your opinion and suggestions and we 'll inform you about our progress.
Our first Ideas:
  • Inventory functionality
  • Player Guidance (In game help,pop up messages,navigation or mini map etc)
  • Starting menu-settings-button configuration
  • Saving mode (playing different players from the same pc)
I read that Cervator has an idea about a multiline text area in which player can type specific commands such as "help".
And we had a really intresting idea...CHEATS!!! (like full health, full wood or other materials,new weapons etc etc)
We are looking forward for your suggestions and we are willing to help anyone who needs working hands!
Can't wait write some code...!

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
In a sandbox game like this, especially this early, they aren't really cheats, they're valid debug commands ;)

We have a teleport command and stuff like that already, cmd.giveBlock "BlockName" too :)

Saving - the world already saves when you close, but there are a few minor tweaks needed, like also persisting the direction the player faces at that point in time. That's one of the GitHub issues and shouldn't be very hard.

I'd recommend starting with the easy stuff like simply making the console pop up with "Hello! The following keys do x, y, z, and these commands are available in the console a, b, c" to if nothing else simply submit a super easy change to understand Git, IntellliJ, etc better

Inventory stuff and other UI stuff really should wait until the pending UI work is submitted, or you'd end up doing duplicate stuff / causing conflicts :geek:

G&C

What about button configuration???
Menu->settings->button configuration and the user can change buttons .....
Or a help button in which explains what every botton does...
We 've already experimented and added the configuration button in settings menu

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Button configuration? Do you mean "key mapping" where you can change what individual keys do? That'd be great, although you'd also have to actually make it so different actions actually map to a config setting rather than be hard coded to a set key :)

Immortius

Lead Software Architect
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
I did put a task up in Github for key binding, in response to someone with a AWERTY keyboard who was finding it impossible to play.

G&C

Firstly, we will try this as part of our course.
Our first thoughts for this task are:
Create a button on settings menu called"button configuration" . When you push this button a window opens with all the default keys and their description. The user can click on a button that he want to change and press the new button he prefers.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Sounds good.

I'd suggest naming it "Key Bindings" instead tho, as "button" could also refer to the buttons in the UI themselves :)

I've assigned https://github.com/MovingBlocks/Terasology/issues/214 to your GitHub user (or one of them, at least, still don't know the other one) - good luck! :)

G&C

We also noticed that Terasology never plays on 100% full screen..
Is something we can investigate and fix it????

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
There is a full screen option in the internal config. Needs a menu item, so yep!

(That option may need a disclaimer for restarted needed, or some fanciness to force an update)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Only one way to find out!

Adding the option in the UI with a note that a restart may be needed would be easy. Can then try to make it work "live" so to say without restarting later.

G&C

Hi guys, we are back and we have enough time now to work hard!
Cervator i experimented on Terasology and i find out how full screen is achieved....
I mean that Display.setFullscreen(true); is enough to run Terasology on full screen without problems.
So a good i idea would be to add a button on settings menu in which the user changes to full screen and we can refer that if pressed the system will restart and run on full screen.
Is that you said???

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Yep! That sounds perfect. And good to see you're still around, was beginning to wonder :)

G&C

Our department is full of projects (in fact every course has a project) and we have to program our time correctly!
Until 7 june at least we ll be always here! Almost Every Day!!!!! So, don't worry hehehe