Resolved Game crashes when creating world with stable 47

Lemoncreme

Erm whenever I try to create a world, the game crashes with no error messages. I've tried different module templates including Core Gameplay.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hi @Lemoncreme - could you still get us the full game log file somewhere? What system are you running from?

Lemoncreme

Hi @Lemoncreme - could you still get us the full game log file somewhere? What system are you running from?
I am running on Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, my GPU is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, I am on Intel i7 clocked at 3.7 GHz, my RAM is 16GB DDR3, blah blah blah. Is there any specific specs you would like to know?
Where would I find the log file? It's not in the Terasology install directory, and I can't find anything Terasology related in documents, roaming or local appdata.

EDIT: Here are all my specs.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Thanks for the specs, those look fine. Often we get trouble reports from low-end laptops and such.

Log file should be at C:\Users\Benjamin\Saved Games\Terasology\logs then - not under appdata. I know! Crazy to have a game actually use Windows' "Saved Games" directory. I wonder if we're bucking a trend by trying to follow an official but rarely used convention :D

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hmm, log file looks entirely clean. It just seems to end after you hit the "Play" button.

On the odd chance that it matters, can you try to pick the Core gameplay template, then click the "Modules" button and make sure to disable all modules if any additional ones are selected. It seems like from the startup logging that a lot are enabled, which can cause trouble. Maybe just running with the Core module and nothing else would help.

If not we might have to get into enabling some more logging. I'm going to move these posts into our support forum so we can keep going there - would be nice to figure this out :)

Lemoncreme

Hmm, log file looks entirely clean. It just seems to end after you hit the "Play" button.

On the odd chance that it matters, can you try to pick the Core gameplay template, then click the "Modules" button and make sure to disable all modules if any additional ones are selected. It seems like from the startup logging that a lot are enabled, which can cause trouble. Maybe just running with the Core module and nothing else would help.

If not we might have to get into enabling some more logging. I'm going to move these posts into our support forum so we can keep going there - would be nice to figure this out :)
Yep disabled everything but Core Gameplay module and it did not crash, so that means it's one of the modules, or maybe a combination of them that's crashing the game. Thanks! I thought using the template just set all the modules to the template's modules...

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Excellent! Good to know :)

The templates just make sure some specific modules appropriate for the template are active, but still allow you to enable more. The tricky bit is that the "extras" stay enabled even when you switch template.

That's probably more confusing than helpful, so I just put in https://github.com/MovingBlocks/Terasology/issues/1535 to make that more sensible :)

Lemoncreme

Oooohhh um I was playing off of the Joshua's Survival modules and I tried to place down the Assembly Table and the game crashed. I've replaced the previous log file with the new one.

EDIT: Yes I understand the usefulness of that, but I think a "Reset to Template Default" would be a good button to have to avoid confusion.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Oh that log is full of all kinds of juicy errors and warnings! @Josharias: cleanup on aisle seven please! :D

Lemoncreme

I come with more information! :laugh:
Trying to create a Light and Shadow world is what was crashing me before. Some module in that template is crashing the game before it can create the world. I also made double sure that I was only using the default Light and Shadow modules. Here is the new log file (I didn't replace the old one).

EDIT: Just tried Throughout the Ages, which crashes too. Made sure it had the right modules. Crashed in the same way when trying to make a world.

EDIT2: Playing Joshua's Survival again and the game crashed when I tried to put a stick into the "Input" slot in the inventory... Here's another log for you!

Last edited:

Josharias

Conjurer of Grimoires
Contributor
World
SpecOps
It is odd that there are no stack traces or exceptions in those logs, it must have crashed pretty hard. I cant help but think there is something else going on here. Just to confirm, you disabled all modules and then selected a gameplay template, right?

The texture warnings in JoshariasSurvival are expected until some asset resolver lifecycle is tweaked. The process definition warnings (aka recipes) have been fixed recently and will fix themselves next update.

Lemoncreme

It is odd that there are no stack traces or exceptions in those logs, it must have crashed pretty hard. I cant help but think there is something else going on here. Just to confirm, you disabled all modules and then selected a gameplay template, right?

The texture warnings in JoshariasSurvival are expected until some asset resolver lifecycle is tweaked. The process definition warnings (aka recipes) have been fixed recently and will fix themselves next update.
I made triple sure I used the right modules.

coegho

My game crashes too, and it give me this exception:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.VerifyError: Bad type on operand stack
Exception Details:
org/terasology/fences/FencesFamilyFactory$FencesConnectionCondition.isConnectingTo(Lorg/terasology/math/Vector3i;Lorg/terasology/math/Side;Lorg/terasology/world/WorldProvider;Lorg/terasology/world/BlockEntityRegistry;)Z @5: invokespecial
Reason:
Type 'org/terasology/math/Vector3i' (current frame, stack[2]) is not assignable to 'javax/vecmath/Tuple3i'
Current Frame:
bci: @5
flags: { }
locals: { 'org/terasology/fences/FencesFamilyFactory$FencesConnectionCondition', 'org/terasology/math/Vector3i', 'org/terasology/math/Side', 'org/terasology/world/WorldProvider', 'org/terasology/world/BlockEntityRegistry' }
stack: { uninitialized 0, uninitialized 0, 'org/terasology/math/Vector3i' }
Bytecode:
0000000: bb00 0359 2bb7 0004 3a05 1905 2cb6 0005
0000010: b600 0619 0419 05b9 0007 0200 3a06 1906
0000020: c600 142a 1906 2cb6 0008 b700 0999 0007
0000030: 04a7 0004 03ac
Stackmap Table:
append_frame(@52,Object[#42],Object[#43])
same_locals_1_stack_item_frame(@53,Integer)

at org.terasology.fences.FencesFamilyFactory.<init>(FencesFamilyFactory.java:51)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at org.terasology.engine.modes.loadProcesses.RegisterBlockFamilyFactories.loadFamilies(RegisterBlockFamilyFactories.java:63)
at org.terasology.engine.modes.loadProcesses.RegisterBlockFamilyFactories.step(RegisterBlockFamilyFactories.java:45)
at org.terasology.engine.modes.StateLoading.update(StateLoading.java:235)
at org.terasology.engine.TerasologyEngine.mainLoop(TerasologyEngine.java:441)
at org.terasology.engine.TerasologyEngine.run(TerasologyEngine.java:372)
at org.terasology.engine.Terasology.main(Terasology.java:139)

But it only crashes with modules Through the Ages and Light and Shadow. I can play with the core game and Josharias Survival.
Oh, and I am using the latest omega distribution.

Josharias

Conjurer of Grimoires
Contributor
World
SpecOps
Hrm. Looks like the Fences module got missed when we changed around the math library. Should be an easy fix if someone wants to do take that on. Thanks for reporting that.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Math thing might be hiding better than that :)

I looked around a fair bit when we merged it. There are still some uses of vecmath (and our internal VecMath.java, huh) here and there but all the usages of what TeraMath replaced were tweaked, including in all the stable modules.

Probably something is getting mixed up with one of the remaining vecmath usages deeper in the stack. Although - could it just be older code, or workspaces that haven't updated with the very latest code + dependencies yet?

I've put in https://github.com/MovingBlocks/Terasology/issues/1539 to see if we can remove some more vecmath

The latest OmegaRelease zip (based on stable engine) is just past three days old, and there were changes to Machines and Workstation just 4 hours after that, so those fixes are in the latest "plain" Omega zip (based on develop engine). So that explains that part :)

I've heard of the Fences crash but cannot replicate. I can spawn in Cities just fine, find a city with fences, break fences, place new ones, see them reorient, and so on.

Could be that most these issues are from older code. Will try to release another stable soon.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps

coegho

I can create a world now, but it crashes with Through the Ages when I try to create a basic crafting table... I'll try to get some exception logging.

EDIT: Here is it:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.terasology.math.Region3i.center()Ljavax/vecmath/Vector3f;
at org.terasology.multiBlock.recipe.UniformMultiBlockFormItemRecipe.processActivation(UniformMultiBlockFormItemRecipe.java:121)
at org.terasology.multiBlock.MultiBlockFormingSystem.formMultiBlockWithItem(MultiBlockFormingSystem.java:40)
at org.terasology.multiBlock.MultiBlockFormingSystemMethodAccess.invoke(Unknown Source)
at org.terasology.entitySystem.event.internal.EventSystemImpl$ByteCodeEventHandlerInfo.invoke(EventSystemImpl.java:497)
at org.terasology.entitySystem.event.internal.EventSystemImpl.sendConsumableEvent(EventSystemImpl.java:278)
at org.terasology.entitySystem.event.internal.EventSystemImpl.send(EventSystemImpl.java:257)
at org.terasology.entitySystem.entity.internal.BaseEntityRef.send(BaseEntityRef.java:168)
at org.terasology.logic.characters.CharacterSystem.onActivationRequest(CharacterSystem.java:139)
at org.terasology.logic.characters.CharacterSystemMethodAccess.invoke(Unknown Source)
at org.terasology.entitySystem.event.internal.EventSystemImpl$ByteCodeEventHandlerInfo.invoke(EventSystemImpl.java:497)
at org.terasology.entitySystem.event.internal.EventSystemImpl.sendStandardEvent(EventSystemImpl.java:268)
at org.terasology.entitySystem.event.internal.EventSystemImpl.send(EventSystemImpl.java:259)
at org.terasology.entitySystem.entity.internal.BaseEntityRef.send(BaseEntityRef.java:168)
at org.terasology.logic.players.LocalPlayer.activateTargetOrOwnedEntity(LocalPlayer.java:184)
at org.terasology.logic.players.LocalPlayer.activateOwnedEntityAsClient(LocalPlayer.java:149)
at org.terasology.logic.players.LocalPlayerSystem.onUseItemButton(LocalPlayerSystem.java:326)
at org.terasology.logic.players.LocalPlayerSystemMethodAccess.invoke(Unknown Source)
at org.terasology.entitySystem.event.internal.EventSystemImpl.sendConsumableEvent(EventSystemImpl.java:278)
at org.terasology.entitySystem.event.internal.EventSystemImpl.send(EventSystemImpl.java:257)
at org.terasology.input.internal.BindableButtonImpl.updateBindState(BindableButtonImpl.java:177)
at org.terasology.input.InputSystem.processMouseInput(InputSystem.java:252)
at org.terasology.input.InputSystem.update(InputSystem.java:204)
at org.terasology.engine.modes.StateIngame.handleInput(StateIngame.java:182)
at org.terasology.engine.subsystem.lwjgl.LwjglInput.postUpdate(LwjglInput.java:65)
at org.terasology.engine.TerasologyEngine.mainLoop(TerasologyEngine.java:458)
at org.terasology.engine.TerasologyEngine.run(TerasologyEngine.java:372)
at org.terasology.engine.Terasology.main(Terasology.java:139)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Yeah I get the same from the latest Omega zip. Works fine from source. Must be one or more of the modules didn't rebuild fully with updated dependencies, drat.

I'll try again later this weekend.