Intro GSoC Introduction

gaj7

• Name: Grant Jurgensen (most often "gaj7" because its never taken and I won't forget my initials :) )
  • Social: Not much on my github besides a little hobby project, but: https://github.com/Gaj7 and my e-mail: gajurgensen@gmail.com
  • From: Kansas (thankfully not the completely rural/farming part though), United States. Currently studying computer engineering (although planning to switch to comp sci before the next academic year) at the University of Kansas.
  • Skills / Tools: In approximately order of comfort/experience: Java, C++, javascript, and little bits of experience with others here and there (c#, python, etc). I also have limited experience with 3D modelling, but I'm no artist, so I plan to stay on the programming side, lol.
  • Found via: GSoC "organizations" list
  • Interests: Game development has been an interest of my mine forever, but I have never gotten involved in anything serious or large scale. I'm excited to work in just about anything within Terasology.
  • Extra: I was particularly interested in the noise-based generation of terrain features. I don't have any previous knowledge of procedural generation, but I do think I possess the necessary knowledge of mathematics - I've taken Applied Differential Equations, currently taking Linear Algebra and Calc III (basically Vector Calc) which I will finish this semester. I'm open to working on other projects though, and I'm certainly open to feedback!

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Welcome @gaj7 :)

As the proposal (draft) phase has already started and the competition is hard (lots of students competing for very few slots) you should hurry up if you want to become a GSoC student. Get yourself set up with the source code (quick start guide) and familiarize yourself with the code base (especially world generation and everything noise related). If you run into any problems, ask your questions here or on the IRC channel (#terasology @ freenode). Keep an eye on the main thread and the timeline/deadlines therein.

Any way, we would like to welcome you as a new contributor, GSoC or not ;) Have fun!