Happy 3rd birthday Terasology! Welcome OreSpawn! Party time!

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Today marks 3 years since the first forum post here :) On our first birthday we celebrated with a Minecraft challenge server. Second year we moved to a Terasology server event with the new multiplayer. This year we welcome the OreSpawn mod with a birthday bash!

TheyCallMeDanger (author of OreSpawn) is looking for a new home away from home after the recent Minecraft events, and coincidentally timed reaching out to us right before our birthday. So it only seems right to get together and celebrate by checking out OreSpawn in its original home while talking about developing for Terasology and how we can port over all the things.

So next weekend (October 4th and 5th) we'll set up one or multiple OreSpawn Minecraft servers and play around together. Goal is to warm up Saturday with some informal play, maybe mostly toward the evening US time / somewhat late Euro time. Mainly this is practice, headcount approximation, and setup to make sure everything works for those interested in playing. Plus assorted discussion. Then early Sunday US time / afternoon Euro time we'll start a server vs. server race to the King!

Staff from both sides will be present including myself and TheyCallMeDanger, at some times at least. Depending on attendance we'll run 1-5 servers or maybe even more. If we finish early (or want to play around Saturday) we might start up a Terasology server to play with too, but after the major recent refactoring work we might need to restabilize a bit first ;)

Plan is to start Saturday at or after the usual Terasology office hours (10 am EDT / 4 pm CEST). I will likely be off for most the afternoon as that day also happens to be my birthday and I may be geeking out with local board gaming nerds to mark that ;) Then after the later office hours session (5 pm EDT / 11 pm CEST) I'll be back and most likely this is when Danger will be able to make it too Saturday.

Around the same (early) time Sunday we'll start up for real with an appropriate amount of servers to handle the race to the king. The winning server wins ... uh, I dunno, nothing really! But myself and Danger will be around more on this day and hopefully lots of staff too. We will coordinate on IRC and maybe do some streaming / voice chat and have fun :)

We'll probably also do some server testing and such this coming weekend, starting tomorrow. Yay weekends!

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Addendum for some initial setup instructions if curious to try out OreSpawn (or just check the install help page):
  1. Configure a profile in the Minecraft launcher to use version 1.6.4 and run the game once
  2. Download the newest version of Forge for MC 1.6.4 and install it
  3. Download OreSpawn and put it (as a zip) at your MC data directory's "mods" path, like C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\mods on Win7
  4. Run the MC launcher again and edit the profile to use the Forge version of 1.6.4 (was at the bottom of the list for me).
  5. Hit Play!
Also, I've started an initial discussion thread on modelling formats since that might be a good first target for porting content - anybody knowledgeable on the topic feel free to join in :)

http://forum.terasology.org/threads/techne-model-converter-format-support.1089/

Soos621

Great to see you on-board for this project TheyCallMeDanger, loved orespawn for MC (beware the kraken XP) cant wait to see it in terasology!

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hiya @Ender - yep :)

Approximately, anyway, I'm going to get on a bit sooner than that and see what's going on, then start the server when we collectively want to. If more people show up than we can fit on one server I might start up another one and so on.

Goal for Saturday is more informal than Sunday. Help people get their local clients working for OreSpawn v20 (so update if you're still on v19!), maybe stress-test the server to see how it handles more people, talk about the Terasology-OreSpawn thing, maybe check up on how the porting process is doing - it is actually progressing much faster than I thought! Heck we might be able to see some stuff inside Terasology this weekend :D

If we can get a Terasology server up and running stable we might play with that sometime Saturday too. Depends a bit on what we get done code-wise. Some might code rather than play.

Note that Danger isn't necessarily going to be there at first, he said Saturday attendance for him was more likely in the (U.S.) evening. Sunday is pretty much all day so we'll start more for real then, maybe on a freshly reset server. I can spin up new ones in about a minute so that part is easy.

We'll coordinate further on Freenode IRC channel #terasology

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Main server is up and running: orespawn.terasology.org

Nothing special going on right now but feel free to check it out. Pretty jungle, lots of critters!

Soos621

Note: if you are having problems launching forge profile (aka. the mojang screen doesn't pop up and the client closes) you may need to completely uninstall java 8 and java 8 jdk installs from your pc and install java 7u67 (se or jdk) this solved my problem! Hope too see people on soon ^.^

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Okay, so maybe the crabs and frogs in the Crystal Dimension do get out of hand ;)

_2014-10-04_22-19-21.png

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Yep happy birthday and welcome OreSpawn :D

Server has been fun so far, geared up and ready for the big fights soon. Target time is slightly more than an hour from now, at 3 pm eastern US time.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
That was fun!

We made it to both the king and even the queen. Others have more screenies/video, I've just got a couple:

Minecraft 1.6.4_2014-10-05_15-10-48.png Minecraft 1.6.4_2014-10-05_15-14-18.png

And while we were off having fun @synopia went ahead and made the models work in Terasology ! Nice work! Thanks also to
@Mike Kienenberger for cracking open the topic and putting work into pushing it forward :)

I'll leave the server online for a few more hours. Might take a backup snapshot of the world but I don't think we'll really need it again and I can't leave the on-demand droplet server online persistently, it is $80/month ;)

@TheyCallMeDanger has put some mighty fine work into this stuff! I especially liked the Crystal Dimension. Not to mention dragons :)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Thanks for recording and sharing @Soos621 - just posted it on our social networks :)