Intro Hello Developers,

Rajat

Name : Rajat 'moving-blockers' Dhyani :)
Social :
Github :- https://github.com/Rajat-dhyani
IRC : Rajat
G+ :- rajatdhyani12@gmail.com
FB :- rajatdhyani12@gmail.com
From: I am second year undergraduate CS student from Dehradun, India
Skills: JAVA (Oracle Certified Java 6 Professional), JSP , Servlet , SQL(have worked on mysql and sqllite), HTML/CSS/Bootstrap/JS/Jquery/ Angular Js , PHP and even have developed my own java swings and sqllite based application and also have contributed to College projects.
Found via : Google Summer Of Code 2016 project.
Interest : I am interested in working on Updated Oculus Rift support and/or alternative HMDs as a part of my GSOC project.
Extra : After going through all the projects listed on GSOC 2016 this project have appealed to me the most.
Virtual Reality has always been a part of my fantasy and i have always wanted to try my hands on it. I do have an adequate programming knowledge in Java.
Is it mandatory to have any background on opensource projects or on Oculus Rift ?:unsure:
Because i don't have any:oops:.
But i can assure you sir if given a chance i will prove my worth.:D

Last edited:

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Hey Rajat and welcome :)

I think you are the first student showing interest for the Oculus Rift topic which is great. A programming background is bonus for sure, but a background in Open Source work or with the Oculus is not required. After all, one goal of all this is to get more people into open source projects :) When working on the Oculus topic, it might be good if you have one at hand - I think @Cervator has a development kit, not sure who else could be of help there...

Looking forward to interesting conversations, here on the forums and on IRC ;)

manu3d

Contributor
Architecture
Hi Rajat, and welcome aboard. I second what Skaldarnar says: you do not need specific experience in Open Source or Oculus, just the will to learn about both, as needed. However, you might have to learn some OpenGL and some 3D math depending on your current knowledge on those topics. The Oculus-related code is (too) deeply embedded in the rendering engine. To extract it and abstract it to allow for other HMDs won't be straightforward. I suspect you or somebody else will need to work on #1741 first, to create a robust architecture for the rendering engine, and then work within that framework to add VR support. I will add a comment about this in the relevant issue, #2111.

Rajat

Hey @Skaldarnar and @manu3d ,

Thank you for the valuable information. I did my homework on Oculus rift and virtual reality and have dived deeper into Oculus rift SDK tutorials and unity3d application. I will get myself acquainted with OpenGL and i do have some knowledge in 3d math.

And about issue #1741 i do realize the importance of that project. For that what i could do is start contributing to the issue #1741 and devote my maximum time on it so that we can then get started on project #2111, which is our main objective.

I will be updating you with the progress made.

Thank you,
Rajat

Rajat

Hello sir,

Sorry for being absent for a while i had my internal exams going on which finally got over today

Now comming back to the issue #2111 i have few queries .

1. To do this project issue #1741 needs to be tackled first as suggested by @manu3d so should i write proposal based on issue #1741 or include both of them into one?.

2. As i have researched and gone through all the post in the forum i think issue #1741 has already been assigned to another candidate . So is it still possible for me to work on this project ?

Thank you ,
Rajat

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
First of all: no projects have been assigned yet! That's what the proposals are for. The DAG-based rendering (#1741) is a fairly big topic on its own, doing even more might be just too much for one summer.

As a general advice for your proposal, try to come up with a good, structured timeline of the project you are planning to work on. Estimate the time it takes to implement the features you are thinking of and you will likely get a good impression of what is doable. Also, have a look at the manual.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Heya @Rajat - did you get needed feedback elsewhere? I have some notes indicating at least @manu3d did some review.

To me it looks like you've got a fairly detailed timeline, but not being a 3d wizard I haven't got a clue about the actual concepts. Other mentors are better there :)

Could be that I'm missing a forum thread elsewhere, still catching up.

Rajat

Hello sir,
There are no feedbacks on my proposal yet and as per my knowledge i have not received any feedback elsewhere.

@manu3d did gave me feedback but that was before the proposal indicating that i should first work on DAG based architecture than try to update TeraOVR as can be seen here in this post and i worked my proposal accordingly but that is all there.

Still waiting desperately for any feedback just to know if it is upto the mark or not.

Thank you,
Rajat dhyani

manu3d

Contributor
Architecture
@Rajat, I left two comments through the GSOC website, but I now wonder if perhaps that's visible only to mentors. I will leave you comments directly on the document then. I'll do this as soon as possible.

Rajat

Hey there terasology,
Saw the results of Gsoc.:(
Unfortunately i haven't got one.:cry:
I would still like to work on this project if thats ok with you guys:unsure:.

P.s : would love to hear where i went wrong. :(

Anthodeus

Contributor
Hey Rajat,

Don't worry about not getting in the program, it's not the end of the world :twilightsmile:. I talked to @Cervator and there's going to be a section for the outside-of-gsoc sort of mentoring so we could work on the project as if we were in, as well as making various forum pages about the projects that were chosen (gsoc or otherwise). What will actually happen we'll see, but that's a thing to potentially look forward to :flutteryay:

About the not getting chosen, there's not a certain pattern or anything, nor does not getting chosen mean you did something wrong :p. I'm not sure I have seen you active on the forums or IRC all that much, nor do I see a shiny contributor status slapped on your name ( which was highly recommended to get even before the deadline by fixing pretty much any sort of issue ). To be fair you had an ambitious idea, and that's awesome :pinkiehappy:, but you did have to get used to the codebase I guess (I'm not sure that's too much of an issue since you have that Java certification and all)

Rajat

Hey @Anthodeus ,

I accept i haven't been around much on IRC or on the forum but thats all due to my end term semester are going on:(. My bad i guess :fluttercry:.

I am free from 7th may. I don't have any other plans for summers so i would love to contribute to terasology in any way possible.

Looking forward for working on any projects be it Gsoc or not.:D
Will poke you soon:scootangel:
Rajat

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hey @Rajat - yeah very sorry we couldn't fit more students, the amount of interest was overwhelming and we were never going to get a lot of slots, alas :(

@Anthodeus already touched on a couple of the points. The final candidates pretty much all managed to make some contributions on GitHub plus show activity here in the forum on IRC beyond proposal feedback. So that's the main reason you were further down the list.

Absolutely understood that you were busy with your education, which absolutely should come first! And you weren't the only one there, several other students were simply too busy to contribute, and we didn't have that listed as a mandatory requirement. This being our first year we were very surprised and had left the requirements very low. If we make it in next year we'll likely list that, maybe make an official checklist to make it through.

Another problem was how few effort hours we had in helping shepherd (so many!) students through the process of getting set up to contribute, it was at times hard even getting enough time for proposal feedback. Surely we'll improve there for next year now that we know a bit more about what to expect :thumbsup:

You're more than welcome to stick around and learn with us! We would love to have your company. Whenever you have time, no rush since no schedule, try going through the wiki steps to set up to run from source then look at the bite-size issues in the GitHub tracker to get started on something small. When you're comfortable with the code and we're more sure what kind of casual mentor capacity we have then we can look into a bigger more specific item you'd like to do and learn from :)

Rajat

Hey @Cervator ,

Thanks for the condolences.:D
Maybe next year i will be in for gsoc (2 more yrs before i graduate:p) but that aside i will surely contact you guys as soon as i am free from my hectic examination schedule ( two 3hrs paper back to back tomorrow !!!:raritydespair:).

Thank you,
Rajat