Contributor Hello Terasology!

Abhinav Tripathi

Contributor
I am Abhinav Tripathi, B.Tech 3rd Year Student from IIT Indore, India.
I have good experience with high level languages like C++ and Java(7 and 4 years respectively). I have worked on many projects on completely my own some of which I have uploaded on my github profile.
I love to make games. I have made a couple of 2D games in C++ using Qt4 and Win32. I have also made a 3D game using OpenGL and C++. I have done an AI course on edx using which I made a self learning pacman game in python. I love physics (especially mathematics of it). I have also worked on large codebases (like in previous year GSoC) so I know I can understand an existing codebase in an acceptable time frame.
I would love to work with you guys. Many of the projects on the github ideas page interested me but I chose a few of the projects which I found most intriguing:
1 - Physics Based Combat system -- I would love to implement the intricate physics related to combats. This project really seems quite interesting.
2 - Noise-based generation of distinguishable terrain features -- It also seems a fun ride to make terrains for some game. The best part about Open World games is their terrain and I would love to work on it.
3 - Renovation of MasterOfOren -- This also seems to fall in my interest zone as I would love to make a complete game and then see it work.
If mentor(s) or anyone else would like to state a few proficiency test, I would love to submit a few patches before GSoC. :)

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hi @Abhinav Tripathi and welcome!

Very cool that you've been in GSOC previously, that puts you ahead of us :D

Combat is probably the most needed at the moment, although how advanced it gets is up for debate on how much we expect can be done in a few months. For world gen we have a nice tutorial: https://github.com/Terasology/TutorialWorldGeneration/ (the wiki may be slightly out of date, but the code is accurate)

Master of Oreon is being looked at some already, but from a creature management perspective. You could work on combat and just use the Oreons standalone so to say for testing :)

Introducing yourself with a few pull requests is ideal! Take a look at the Contributor friendly items on GitHub to get an idea of easy things to start with. Let us know if you have any questions! If you hop on our IRC channel you'll find discussion happening there from time to time.

Also some more notes over in our main GSOC thread.

Abhinav Tripathi

Contributor
Thanks @Cervator!
I looked into the tutorial and it's really nice. :)
I will first try to understand the codes related to some of the issues on github you pointed and then try to submit a patch (might take 3-4 days).
I will reach out if I get stuck.

Abhinav Tripathi

Contributor
Hello! I was preparing my proposal for GSoC... I wanted to ask if anyone would be interested to review it before I submit it to Google. I would really like to get some feedback and do some edits before submitting it.

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
You can submit a proposal draft through the GSoC website which will be visible to all the potential mentors. If you do it in a google doc we are able to directly give feedback in the document. As far as I know even for the final proposal it is possible to update an uploaded PDF until the end of proposal phase.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Heya @Abhinav Tripathi - wanted to let you know I see your proposal in the system and have checked it out :)

There's a whole lot of good general background information about you. The timeline in comparison is a bit thin and low on details. Have you worked much with collision detection and do you know how you would approach it in Terasology? Have you had a chance to check out the legacy branch with the combat system working and noted some of the involved physics classes and concepts? Capsules and all those kinds of collision shapes?

Thanks for the PRs btw, those count for a lot :)

Hopefully we can get a bit more review from other mentors, you might want to come on IRC if you can and see if you can spot one of them (list in main thread) for some live discussion and review.

Abhinav Tripathi

Contributor
Hi @Cervator ... I have worked with collision detection in past (in some of the games that I made) and also in general going through many online tutorials and working with physics libraries in C++ (which I mentioned in the proposal).
Although, I know I should have checked the legacy branch for the combat system, but actually these days, I had to see college and then work for the proposals. And also I worked on a few of the issues on github. So, I really couldn't get time.
I put in the background information, just to emphasize that I can work on the combat physics and revive/rewrite it as needed.
I will check the old branch today and add a few things related to that, if I find out...
> Capsules and all those kinds of collision shapes?

If you mean detecting collision between different shapes. Then yes, I have done something similar. Moreover, these things relate to geometry, which I have good grasp over. And the collision physics is taught in senior secondary school (In India we call it Class 11th and Class 12th) , which can be easily extended for different shapes.
I'll check the IRC too and try to add more details pertaining to the project.
Thanks a lot for the review :)