Hello.

zproc

Contributor
Art
  • zproc: Jean-Marc "Rez N" C.
  • Nicks: zproc on irc, twitter and github
  • Skills / Tools:
    Let's try that brielfy cause I usually wrote pages for things like introduction.. some tendancy to write all bout my life. :s
    (you'll see. :s)
    Began with Omikron Basic / GFA Basic on Atari ST/e while a kid, then QBasic on PC where I began coding few "tiny" games (pong, breakouts, etc...) Then learned C when I was a teen and coded demoscene related things on Linux (there were uhmmm 3 demogroups on linux at the time i guess...) and a few little games (platform, puzzle). Learned PHP/MYSQL and developed weblog/CMS things for me later. Went to a computer science school that was not really good imho, but picked on OOP and C++ and Java mainly. Worked with PHP/SQL/JS and then Java, not for long (nothing game related, boring stuff). A few years went by where I had pretty enough with boring "braindead" coding and so stopped caring about dev' and found the videogames (the thing that interested me to learn coding at first) at that time pretty uninteresting.
    Few years ago or something like that, I got interested in videogames again seeing "new" things in the "indie scene" that caught my attention, gradually wanted to make some games again. Fell in love with Procedural Generation things. Started coding tiny sketches in Processing. Began more recently a (not full) voxel engine in C++/Polycode and another one in Processing. Toyed with different algorithms like L-Systems in Processing... Wrote 42 game projects documents, started a few lately... Achieved nothing... YET! :) And just a few days ago, I started to make some prototypes of visualizations/animations/etc for music in Processing. Hoping to make something like a netlabel that would release singles/eps as Apps with the visualizations acting like some sort generative / audio reactive covers / designs. (Also I'll surely try to code some music in Processing for closer interaction between the audio and the visuals.)

So that was for the coding part, else, with coding my other first passion that was maybe the actually first one, was drawing. I used to draw all the time from a kid to the end of high school, but at some point I needed to stop, it was kind of difficult for different twisted reasons like "urrrgh this not good enough, not good enough >__< *rage* *rage*"... then I ragequitted. :) Trying now to get back to drawing, slowly.

A few old sketches that I have online, drawed with photos refs :

A recent one (a 2 or 3 minutes quick sketch) :

I began learning Blender not so long ago, with some help from Glasz, willing to make low poly models for my game projects, here's a screenshot I have online (that was a work in progress / not finished screenshot), a first really-low-poly character :

Then something here that was done very quickly, some sort ultra uber low poly TVset-spider-bot-thingie (for a game / game project of mine):

I clearly haven't big skills on Blender, but I think I know enough for building low poly stuff. (and i'm not interested by high poly stuff anyway...)

Also, I like pixel art, and started trying to make some very very recently, a few sprites, but I haven't even finished the spritesheet. I hope I'll be able to make / learn more on this. Wouldn't mind trying to make some low-res pixelated textures too.

I try, from time to time, to make some music, but I'm not really good. There's things online tho : http://soundcloud.com/zproc3
  • Found via: I was trying mods and tools for specific terrain generator for my Minecraft server, but was really frustrated with what I found (and what was working), so I googled hoping to find some source codes examples of terrain generators for Minecraft w/ the fileformat of the saves, and stumbled upon an old video of Terasology on youtube. As I was already toying with voxel engines (and already thought of a Dungeon Keeper like game with a voxel engine), I clicked on some links.. :)
  • Interests: _What are your interests that relate to Terasology/ developing games / similar; and are you interested in working on a particular part of Terasology?_
    Not sure yet. I've started looking at the sources a little. As I've not coded in Java for quite some time, so maybe I should start by going hunting the few bugs for a beginning, or something like that. Maybe I could contribute 3D models, and try sketching some concept arts if needed ? I don't know, we'll see I guess. Anyway i can't promise anything, but I'll sure hang around, and try to contribute when I'll be able to.
  • Extra: _Any additional information you'd like to share_
    mmh not sure. :D

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Now that's what I call an intro! Very nicely done, and impressive work :D

Already said it before, but since you made an official thread: welcome officially to the project!

A'nW

Contributor
Art
Hi Jean-Marc! Nice intro! Looks like your programming experience is pretty good, better than mine at least! :) Welcome to the project.

begla

Project Founder and Lead Developer
Contributor
Architecture
Logistics
Woah – so many people joining in with such a quality "portfolios". Glad to have you on the team! :D