[*] Skills / Tools:
    Programmer, 3dsmax, Maya, Photoshop
    [*] Found via:
    _How'd you find Terasology? Minecraft
    [*] Interests:
    Coding is relaxing.
    [*] Extra:
    Experienced.
  • I got forked and worked a bit on map generation. Basically looking to put the important parameters into the menu system so we can see whats going on.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hi MPratt and thank you very much for the work! I saw the PR earlier and am looking forward to the follow-up and a chance to test it. We badly need said map gen setup screen :D

MPratt

Contributor
After the pull request I rewrote the code based on mbrotz and immortius comments. I plan to use little sliders for each variable (ForestGrassDensity is working below). I had a good laugh trying to implement chuck size before realizing what immortius and mbrotz knew immediately (that it should be final). Sample rate seems rock stable and useful, but I decided to use drop down to control the choices.

Now the setup menu button ONLY appears when you select "Perlin with setup" Map generator. I am happy that the system is now only taking what the engine gives and on top of that I started a new map generator. So the whole code base really stands alone from the engine code.

I am headed on vacation and might have some time to look at things while I am gone. If I do I plan to read the code (and commit comments) to see if this system could be modded or not. Something like map gen setup might go either way.

Not sure if map gen setup could evolve to be our version of a map editor/map development system but that might be possible. Other questions arise such as why 2 menus are needed (map gen already has everything the map create menu has with the exception of the map gen selection pull down). Anyway Ill work on another pull request.

Lastly I like the vision you have for a stable engine supporting the mod community. Longterm when I will move on from this map gen thing, I will glad to help with whatever needs done.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Looks like an awesome beginning, especially with it hooked up as a new terrain gen option - looking forward to the new PR :geek:

Yeah eventually the menus need to be changed around a bit with a better world setup where the current map gen options are just one piece. Goes with the overall refactoring of world gen to a phased approach of some sort. Nym Traveel was working on that a while back, but everybody hits busy streaks, alas!

Enjoy your vacation :)

Edit: I tossed the video on our social outlets. Feel free to create an Incubator thread for the options sometime. Enjoy the new Contributor badge!