Intro Hey Everyone

AndyB

• Name: Andrew Burden
  • Social: https://github.com/andrewburden
  • Skills / Tools: Java, Assembly, C++, Android Development, Some web development with bootstrap and javascript
  • Found via: Google Summer of Code
  • Interests: Physics based Combat
  • Extra: I'm a junior Computer Science major at a java based school. I also have a strong background in competitive games (2 Magic the Gathering pro tours, among lots of other notable finishes.) From magic and poker I have a lot of experience with probability and game theory. I have essentially been pvping since I was 10 years old and have seen the pros and cons of so many systems.

When I played minecraft I thought there was so much wasted potential in the combat system. I believe the best games implement simple combat while maintaining enough combinations/possibilties to add a large level of intricacy. More specifically I think something like a skill tree (not too many options, but enough to add variation) could really add diversity to the system. Something like three possible trees with a handful of different options within them Melee/Ranged/Magic (I see no reason why bows have to be the only trajectories.) This is just something off the top of my head, but the possibilities for combat seem endless while still having a simple point and click design.

I love the community so far and am very impressed with the progress you all have made with the game. I can't wait to dive into the game/code and start contributing!

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Hi @AndyB :)

If you plan to apply for GSoC you should try to hurry up a bit as the proposal phase has already started and ends on March 25th. You can find a quick start guide on github to get set up from source, and there's a bunch of contributor friendly issues. Ask questions here or on IRC if you run into any problems.

Even if it does not work out with GSoC we would like to welcome you as a new contributor! And most important: have fun!