Intro Hey there! I'm Prafful

praffulj4199

Contributor
  • Name: Prafful Javare
  • Social: Github: https://github.com/praffulj4199/
  • Skills / Tools: A little of C, C++, Java, Unity, and loads of pygame
  • Found via: I always wanted to add my own features in minecraft. This game will help me do so and enjoy playing with my friends!
  • Interests: I have loved playing minecraft along with my friends, and would love to make my 'own' version of it. :)
  • Extra: I am just a beginner in game development and programming as a whole. I'd love to get all the help I can!

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Hello and welcome (again) :) You were talking to me on Facebook in case you wonder.

Since you already got the local setup working, you are ready to start with some more advanced stuff. We can help you find areas of interest (i.e., modules you could work on) if you tell us a bit more. What do you mean by saying add your own features to Minecraft? Is it about AI, gameplay and logic, simulation, world generation, modeling, story telling, ... (you see, there is sooo much to a game ;)). In case you are still undecided about these details, you could look through our wiki pages on Google Code-in (entry level tasks, not only programming) and Google Summer of Code (just started, many projects ideas to find there).

If you want to start with some smaller coding tasks (unrelated to a specific topic), look out for bite-sized issues in our issue tracker on GitHub. Those are perfect to for a fresh contributor, and the issues will give you a contact person you should talk to.

Hope that helps, don't hesitate to ask more questions (preferably here or on IRC).

praffulj4199

Contributor
Hi! I am having a really hard time figuring out the code. Can you please give me an idea about where to start from? Thanks

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Hard question to answer in general. We have some good tutorials for specific topics, such as World Generation (there are more examples). The whole game logic is based on an Entity System, you can find information in the wiki under Entity System Architecture and Events and Systems.

If you have a concrete idea what you want to do just tell us, this will make it much easier to provide on-point help ;)

praffulj4199

Contributor
I would like to solve the issues in the issue tracker. Can you please help me choose which one? I do not understand at all, what is going on. But I want to learn! :cry:

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hi @praffulj4199 and welcome. Probably the best idea is for you to join us on IRC for some live discussion and support. Just be mindful that due to time zones and busy schedules you might have to try a few different times before you find somebody available to help :)

In either case more details would be very helpful, both on what you would like to do and what you've tried. Did you check out the wiki links and tutorials?