Intro Hi Everyone!

Kashif Nazir

Hello there! Here's my introduction.
  • Name:
    • Kashif Nazir (usually use the username Kijoun)
  • Social:
    • Github: knazir;
    • Twitter: @kijounn;
    • California
  • Skills / Tools:
    • Currently pursuing a bachelor's in computer science at Stanford University and interning at Cask Data working on expanding their big data application platform. Technologies/languages I'm familiar with include Java, C++, C, Python, JavaScript, HTML, CSS, and the MEAN web stack. I'm pretty comfortable using IDEs like IntelliJ and am (becoming increasingly) familiar with aspects of open source workflow such as branch management and integration testing.
  • Found via:
    • I found Terasology through GamesRadar's article "25 games to play if you like Minecraft" and was super excited when I found out it's an ongoing project. ^^;
  • Interests:
    • I just recently began contributing to the open source community and really want to get some more experience... I love all things games and programming and played countless hours of Minecraft in high school. I'm looking to contribute in any way possible to Terasology whether it be small bug fixes or new features! I'm especially interested in virtual reality and possible Oculus Rift integration for the game, though I have not had a large amount of experience with graphics in general.
  • Extra:
    • After reading through some of the other introductions it seems like a lot of people are coming from GSoC 2016. What impact would this have on any non-GSoC contributers? :O
Thanks, I look forward to my time here!
Kashif~

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hi @Kashif Nazir and welcome! Thanks for the nice intro :)

We made it to GSOC this year yep and a flood of students made intro thread. Usually the pace is a bit more calm, but that has been a fun change :D

Three students made it to the proposal stage and one of them (@tdgunes) is working on a rendering overhaul that should help clean up the system and make it easier to edit in the future. In that case the GSOC item is currently blocking the Oculus Rift overhaul. Coincidentally we had somebody else express an interest in that just earlier today, so there are some extra comments now

With just three GSOC students actual conflicts like that are rare, but they do happen. For now we're looking about two months out to where we could consider reimplementing VR. If you're still interested in that item by then that would be cool, you might be able to collaborate with the other two :)

In the meantime you could spend a little time first setting up to run from source (DevSetup in the GitHub wiki) then look at the issue tracker for bite-size issues to look into completing. That's a great way to get through the workflow a few times so you can be comfortable with it and know more about what you're getting into :D

Let us know if you have any questions and feel free to come say hi on IRC sometime, just be aware that our active times change constantly thanks to the wonders of time zones and real life :coffee: