Contributor Howdy!

MottaTheHutt

Contributor
Hello all!
  • Name: Ian "Motta" Maltbey
  • Social: https://github.com/MottaTheHutt, https://gist.github.com/MottaTheHutt
  • Skills / Tools:
    • Java: baby's first programming language. What I learned to code in, though I honestly haven't used it much outside of school.
    • JSON: I've dealt with JSON objects in an internship previously, and noticed Terasology uses JSON for some things.
    • Game development: "Development" may be a strong word here. Most of my personal projects in the past have been Lua scripts that run in NES/SNES emulators. This is popular for tool-assisted speedrun videos, but can also be used for providing additional GUIs, general automation, etc.
    • Customer service/communication: Not sure how much this is needed at this point, but I thought it was worth mentioning. While customer service skills aren't really something I'm naturally good at, it's what I do for a living at the moment, and I have quite a bit of training in that area now.
  • Found via: Stumbled upon Terasology when browsing through various github projects. I was interested in learning more about game design, and this seemed like a great way to do that.
  • Interests: Procedural generation was the main topic that drew me to Terasology, but I'm really looking to learn about game development - and open source development - in general.
At this point I have to admit I've spent more time reading about Terasology than actually playing it, so right now I'm just messing around with different modules and getting familiar with what's already there.

I think that about covers it. Would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Heya @MottaTheHutt good to see an intro post from you, have met at least a couple times on IRC already I remember :)

Lua makes me think about OpenComputers and @Marcin Sciesinski's computer modules here in Terasology. Right now Marcin's system uses a Javascript-like language while OC uses Lua, and it has been raised as a suggestion to try having our setup support Lua as well, maybe even port a part of OC into Terasology. We've talked with Sangar about it and he's on board, just need somebody with some spare time to help drive it :D

Customer Support is an interesting one! I think that's just been a few of us responding to the occasional thread here in the support forum or a request on GitHub. Indubitably we'd need that more and more! A related idea there is adding more telemetry to the game and the CrashRepoter, maybe even automatically create crash/bug reports *somewhere* - although exactly where (if not a forum thread or GitHub issue, which would get spammy) is still a question. Have you gotten any exposure to that kinda stuff? I know there are some online support desk type software you can integrate, but we'd need something neat and free.

Proc gen is a perennial favorite, no lack of fun stuff to do there :) Have you checked out https://github.com/Terasology/TutorialWorldGeneration yet? Maybe you got linked that on IRC already.

MottaTheHutt

Contributor
Hey again!

I'm aware of OpenComputers, but have never actually used it. This is something I'd be interested in looking more into. Who doesn't want to put computers in computers, right? :D

I could definitely try and help out with things like answering questions on the forum. The main thing right now is I'm still learning about Terasology in general. I've been using different modules and such to get more familiar with what content is already there. I've also been poking around, looking at the bite-size/contributor-friendly issues, since these seem like a good way to get more familiar with the codebase while also being useful. I honestly don't have any prior exposure to anything like automated bug reporting.

Yeah, when I first popped into IRC someone linked me to that tutorial. Er, I think it was you, actually! I did read through most of the tutorial, but haven't gotten around to playing around with the module yet.