Life is Feudal

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Just noticed this on Steam. Looks like another one of the survival style sandboxes with nice building, mining, some extra crafting and ... what's this? Advanced health system for combat!

Check out the tutorial video on the health bars, wounds, death, etc - third video as of when I write this: http://store.steampowered.com/app/290080/?snr=1_5_9__205

That makes it sound a lot like an implementation of a more advanced anatomy system like we've talked about occasionally starting very long ago. There is a paperdoll display of wounds including severity you can see appear as your character is hit in that spot plus the health bar isn't a basic "die at 0" (there are two flavors - one does kills you, the other knocks you out). I imagine wounds might hold specific effects too? Dunno, haven't dug that deep.

It is on special 40% off for a few days, still early release and not crazy cheap. But they'll probably do well - I hope so at least :)

Good inspiration for health system! We need something like that. Who's volunteering :D

manu3d

Contributor
Architecture
I wouldn't mind an anatomy-based system where if you break a leg (i.e. falling) vs breaking an arm you can't do some things, i.e. walking back home, and you have to spend the night in a potentially lethal environment, i.e. predators or weather. And I wouldn't mind some reality-based first aid, i.e. one where if you don't apply a tourniquet to a broken limb you might loose too much blood, loose consciousness and die unless somebody saves you.

But I wish it could be completely separated from combat. I've had enough of fighting in games as an easy way to add drama or appeal to the classical youngish-male demographic. I'll still want to play some fighting games on occasions, but there are so many already and I'm far more interested in software experiences that allow people to grow in some sense, ideally a far more useful sense. Combat rarely does. Most of us hopefully will never be involved in a war and even if we did it's unlikely any combat we have done in the average AAA game with fighting features will prepare us for it.

Ultimately, apart from the still untapped demographics of people that would rather do something useful than play a game, even current gamers are growing older and will need far more useful games than one "teaching you" how to grow grain in three easy steps: plant, wait, harvest. Hopefully in some time (a few years?) I'll be able to take advantage of Terasology and do something about it. Stay tuned! ;)

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Absolutely agreed! @woodspeople would be happy to hear the perspective get mentioned, though it has been a long time :)

Simple example: Jumping (or falling) down a hill shouldn't just cause you to lose a few hearts that'll refill in a minute. If you're in bad luck you break a leg, little less bad luck you might just sprain an ankle.

Naturally that's a gameplay style more appropriate in some places than others. I'd love to have a more "realistic" survival setup where you have to worry about that (and not be able to keep a pyramid's worth of blocks in your pocket ...), but others wouldn't, and in something fun and brief like L&S it would be out of place.

But simply having a system like that available to put together gameplay? Huge pro! Bound to lead to lots of interesting extensions.

Last edited: