Miga

Miga

• Name: Miga
  • Nicks: Freenode: Hakase
  • Skills / Tools: Some Java, GIMP
  • Found via: Extensive Google searching for 'open source minecraft'
  • Interests: Texture creation and ideas
  • Extra: I've been working on a texture pack for Terasology that I hope will be able to replace the Good Morning Craft texture pack being used. I think that since the project is open source under a license that allows commercial redistribution (Apache), the textures shouldn't hold that freedom back by restricting commercial use.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Welcome, Miga!

Done intro on IRC already, looks cool on the texturing angle, encouraging focus on shaped blocks :)

metouto

Contributor
Art
Just wanted to say Hi Miga .... read a little about you on IRC ... hope to see some of your work with the texture pack for Terasology .... I just might learn something new :)

Miga

Thanks for the welcomes, guys!

I've been a little bit busy in the past few days (job hunting, turned out to be successful), so I've done little work on my textures in the past two days. I'm trying to think of where to upload my current work on the texture pack, as I'd like to share it, even though it's not anywhere near complete. Of course, I still plan to work on it, but I think uploading it would help with suggestions on things I should change and whatnot.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
You might be able to zip up your work and simply attach it to a post here? Can't recall if there would be any issues attaching a zip, I don't see any obvious blocking for that set in the board config.

metouto

Contributor
Art
Job hunting is always a nice experance if it turned out to be successful these days :D

Miga

Hey begla!

Cervator said:
You might be able to zip up your work and simply attach it to a post here? Can't recall if there would be any issues attaching a zip, I don't see any obvious blocking for that set in the board config.
Well, I wanted to like put it in a place where I could keep updating it, sort of like GitHub or something. I mean, I could keep updating the zip file if I upload it here, but I dunno...

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Oh you'll certainly want to go through the http://wiki.movingblocks.net/Main/DevSetup if you're wanting to see your stuff working in-game, test things, etc, ready for that? :)

Thought you just wanted an initial opinion, but if you're set, then that DevSetup page should get you up to speed

Miga

Alright, I got IntelliJ IDEA Community Edition set up and things seem to compile, but I get this error upon trying to run the game:

Code:
java.lang.RuntimeException: Resource not found: org/terasology/data/fonts/default.fnt
	at org.newdawn.slick.util.ResourceLoader.getResource(ResourceLoader.java:115)
	at org.terasology.logic.manager.FontManager.initFonts(FontManager.java:51)
	at org.terasology.logic.manager.FontManager.<init>(FontManager.java:46)
	at org.terasology.logic.manager.FontManager.getInstance(FontManager.java:39)
	at org.terasology.game.Terasology.initManagers(Terasology.java:212)
	at org.terasology.game.Terasology.init(Terasology.java:94)
	at org.terasology.world.ChunkCachePerformanceTest.init(ChunkCachePerformanceTest.java:17)
	at org.terasology.world.ChunkCachePerformanceTest.testChunkCash(ChunkCachePerformanceTest.java:29)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at org.junit.internal.runners.JUnit38ClassRunner.run(JUnit38ClassRunner.java:83)
	at org.junit.runners.Suite.runChild(Suite.java:128)
	at org.junit.runners.Suite.runChild(Suite.java:24)
	at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$3.run(ParentRunner.java:231)
	at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$1.schedule(ParentRunner.java:60)
	at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.runChildren(ParentRunner.java:229)
	at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.access$000(ParentRunner.java:50)
	at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$2.evaluate(ParentRunner.java:222)
	at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.run(ParentRunner.java:300)
	at org.junit.runner.JUnitCore.run(JUnitCore.java:157)
	at com.intellij.rt.execution.junit.JUnitStarter.main(JUnitStarter.java:62)
I'm sure it's something fairly simple, but the little Java skill that I have is able to figure out what's going wrong. The font file is actually there in the source.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Well, I haven't seen any font file issues before, so that's sort of weird. I just grabbed the latest source and compiled + ran unit tests from scratch no problem.

It does look like your execution is failing in trying to run unit tests rather than in trying to run the game. How are you trying to start the game?

In addition to right clicking Terasology.java and picking "Run" you can also try to do "gradlew run" from the command line at the project root level, same place you ran "gradlew idea"

If neither of those work, what exact OS are you using?

Miga

Oh! Running `./gradlew run` from terminal ran just fine. I'm a little more familiar with Eclipse, so this is completely new to me. As for the OS, I'm using Parabola GNU/Linux, a derivative of Arch.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Oho, a distro we (probably) haven't hit before.

The gradlew run doesn't hit the unit tests. I wonder if the thing you hit is specific to that? Try to run from IntelliJ (or heck, Eclipse if you want to try it, there's a gradlew eclipse too, but shakey prolly) without triggering unit tests.

Miga

Parabola's pretty much identical to Arch with the difference being that the software that comes with it and all the software in the repositories are completely free (as in freedom). There's absolutely no proprietary software. Other than that, there aren't any differences from Arch.

As for running it in IntelliJ, when I try to run it, I get the same error about the default.fnt not being found. It seems like it's still running the tests, and I'm honestly not too sure how to make it stop...

Compiling it using "gradlew run" seems to be fine for what I need right now (just texture editing and checking that it looks nice in the game), but I would like to have a proper IDE ready in case I need it. Unfortunately my lack of Java skill (just being able to identify what things do in source and compile/change little things in Android applications) means that I don't really know what I'm doing with these sorts of things.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
A lack of familiarity doesn't help, but you'll pick it up some just from exposure :)

In IntelliJ, try to just navigate via the project explorer to the left to src/org/terasology/game and right click Terasology and pick Run - that should simply compile and run the game, without the unit tests.

If you still get stuck running the tests - weird. Maybe Google can help the mystery?

Miga

Alright, it's not saying that it's failing the tests now, but it's still complaining about the missing font and just immediately closes, and I'm not sure why.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I read up on Parabola some - it sounds like a fairly narrow OS with the strict requirements on module inclusion. Could IntelliJ be lacking some obscure component that makes it fail to load font files? Maybe try Eclipse if you're more familiar with that and see if that will work?

Maybe somebody else will have a better idea but I'm sort of reaching for straws here... :)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps