Proposed Features/Enhancements

theotherjay

Save/Load game state

As a player, I would like to save my progress in the current world environment. I would also like to be able to load that game state.

theotherjay

Add better text descriptions for items

We can add more detail later. There are some items and various descriptions in the game that could be more descriptive.

theotherjay

Larger ships provide larger cargo space

Currently, there seems to be no limit to the number of "slots" in the ship's inventory. Also, there is a fixed cap of 30 items in any particular item stack.

Perhaps we should set slot limits and stack limits based on the ship size? A more advanced approach would be to give everything some kind of volume rating and every ship would have a maximum volume it could hold.

theotherjay

Navigation/rotation dampeners

Basically, increases the rate of slowing ship rotation after releasing left or right keys

Should this be a ship based feature or a purchasable item?

theotherjay

Navigation/rotation thrusters

Basically, better rotation thrusters means faster ship rotation.

Should this be a ship based feature or a purchasable item?

theotherjay

Mini-Map

There are a lot of possibilities to how we might implementing this.

I have several thoughts around this potential enhancement. First, determining the desired experience for the user:
- Do we want the mini-map to be a feature dependent on a specific ship or ship upgrade?
- More ships could come with a better minimap with more functionality or it could be an item to be purchased.
- Perhaps the first ship doesn't have one (either the ship doesn't have it built in or it doesn't have it equipped depending on which way we go with implementing the minimap).

- What will we track on the minimap?
- Ships, drops, debris, projectiles, etc?

- What can it do?
- zoom in/out?

- Upgraded minimap features?
- simple minimap
- may only show ships and obstacles?
- cannot zoom in/out?
- advanced
- might distinguish between friendly/enemy ships?
- zoom in/out?

Could a player toggle this on/off?

theotherjay

Switch primary and secondary weapon locations on Hunter ship to match their key locations.

This enhancement is only relevant until we build key/input mapping into the game. Basically the primary weapon button (space bar) is firing from the left side of the ship while the secondary button (left control) is firing the weapon mounted on the right side of the ship. It would be more intuitive for the user if these were switched.

theotherjay

zoom in/out during flight: maybe provide different zoom mode configurations
- auto mode:short range (the way zoom works currently)
- auto mode:medium range
- auto mode:long range
- manual zoom +/- ?
- toggle button between auto modes?

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Thanks for moving the ideas in here :)

Feel free to cram more of them into single posts. The max length is pretty generous. I've had to increase it several times just to fit my own mega-posts, haha :rofl:

As mentioned on IRC we'll work on a more formal/long-term setup here over the weekend :)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Grah, various Terasology release complicates ate my whole weekend, boo :)

At least that's a rare thing, and it isn't every day we try to push out a new major release for our launcher, now at v2.0.0

Probably taking tomorrow off from work to unwind and catch up here

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
@theotherjay + @Linus: Could I get some Trello usernames from you to add to the idea board? It should be publicly viewable at https://trello.com/b/wZRIoWdd/destinationsol but I need to add you to the board so you can add/edit items.

Public voting and commenting is on and cards will "age" with time. We'll see how it goes.

I've moved some todos from the source code into cards, submitted a bunch others, as has @PrivateAlpha. More to come, just sleepy for now :)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Added you both! Let me know if you can add/edit/move cards now :)

Tom ''Aquas'' C.

Maybe, for the ''multiplayer age'' of Destination Sol we should make something like personalize your ship's colors or maybe add new features to it with some sort of a alternative coin (that would be harder to get) which can be used to buy special weapons or adds to a ship. [increase the speed, new special feature, or set a base in a planet/asteroid...]

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Oh ship customization could come long before multiplayer. We have a code branch of the game where everything is split out better (like everything for one ship goes in one place) and less hard coded (like gun slots). Should make it hugely easier to mod the game like that :)

Halamix2

Contributor
GUI
Hunter
I know this is getting boring but I have to say it: maybe localization / translation? :)
(But first let me take a selfie find a font that contains special symbols, like Polish or Russian ones, because current font... well, it could be better)

Last edited:

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hehe good point.

I wonder how Steam handles its localized language options. Can we translate via Weblate as usual and just feed it to Steam somehow?

It might be good to start hooking the repo into Weblate, and adding the needed language files. Maybe start with the new JSON approach instead of .properties?

Would the Noto font we use in Terasology look too non-scifi for Destination Sol?

Probably worth its own thread

Halamix2

Contributor
GUI
Hunter
  • JSON files
  • UTF8 (like "да конечно: Mężny bądź", not like "/0xblah/0xblah....")
  • Steam have some sort of language selection, maybe we can use it? (e.g. when you right click on TF2 in properties there is language menu where you can select game language)
  • Weblate integration
  • Font with all needed characters (see example above) (and quick search) (I need to make further research but as for now I have some candidates)
  • After introducing achievements additional translations would be needed

Last edited:

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Thanks, only just saw your messages on IRC now :)

Yeah I'd love to see un-encoded text in the source files. Can't do that in .properties I guess, thus JSON. Which is supported in Weblate 2 we just haven't checked it out yet.