Renamed the source (still giving credits)

RoseOwnage

Got very much errors and the only thing i did is renaming the source code, if its finished i still giving credits to Terrasology!
I will sponser your game!

[Errors]

-Thanks already (when this is done i can finally start programming ;D )
-RoseOwnage

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Re: Renemed the source (still giving credits)

Huh? :)

Doing a full game rename and package renaming is pretty involved, there are a lot of references to catch and IntelliJ won't find them all automatically. I imagine it took begla quite some effort to get it to work from Blockmania to Terasology :D

If you want your own version named TerraTalus that's fine too, that's what open source is for - tho it'd be great to keep as many resources pooled on one project as possible! Simply sourcing code from one project into another is probably more effort than it is worth for a name alone :)

RoseOwnage

Re: Renemed the source (still giving credits)

so i need to make a new project and then copy all the source in it?

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Well, in theory you should be able to do a rename in-place, even GitHub encourages and supports simply renaming a fork. But there is a lot of config and such within the files, IntelliJ setup, pathing, etc, that need to be renamed manually. You'll have to find all the references before it'll work :)

Then if we do something new within Terasology and you want to copy it you'll have to catch every relevant rename all over again, each time. Initial rename is relatively easy compared to porting over maintenance changes and such over time.

RoseOwnage

ill have already renamed every file. simple ctrl+r all files. but it gives only errors. and do i need to make a github.

[edit]

ok now i have copy evry file to a new project. and i can run the application now but still giving errors.

[edit]

almost all of the errors are: ';' expected and not a statement

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
RoseOwnage said:
almost all of the errors are: ';' expected and not a statement
Do you have Groovy set up correctly on your system? In Groovy files you can omit the ; and other things, but if IntelliJ somehow gets into its head that those files are Java then I imagine you could get errors like that.

Another common issue is cascading issues where one stray or missing bracket etc can cause all sorts of errors. Hard to tell without actually being there.

You don't need a GitHub account to run the game from source, no.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Honestly, at this point I would suggest starting over and going through all the instructions at http://wiki.movingblocks.net/Main/DevSetup very carefully - it explains everything and you'll end up with a solid development setup. It sounds like you've got a few pieces from one section done, a few more from another, nothing from some, etc, which is not a good way to start.

I'm editing it right now to adjust for the rename and add other notes, so if you wait an hour or two you'll have a fresh new version to follow that shouldn't have outdated references to "Blockmania" and such.

RoseOwnage

how to do this then?

Start up IntelliJ to get it hooked up with souce control ◦ Under the Version Control menu - Checkout from version control - GitHub

because the first time you open you got that menu but now you don't.

[edit]
ok i will wait a hour then, thx ;D

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Done with updates - http://wiki.movingblocks.net/Main/DevSetup

I need to leave the house for a bit but will check back later. If you hit issues try to tinker with it a bit to see if you can find a solution, if not then please put logging and/or screenshots here and I'll see if I can spot something :)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
You mean standard Windows command prompt versus the Git Bash one? I've only ever used the plain ole boring Windows command prompt (after using the Git Bash to set up SSH)

RoseOwnage

oke, i know whole the setup out my head, but It just can't find any main classes? This is really strange, i checked all the files 3 times of there was Terasology or terasology.. but now i can't find any main class?
you can do two capitals in a word? like org.terasology.TeraSology ?

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Yeah, you can have multiple capital letters just about anywhere and it will all be case sensitive.

Multiple screenshots to assist in figuring this out would be helpful, can't really do much about vague problems :(