Suggested Roman City Generation

Rufus

Contributor
This is an extension to the Dynamic Cities Module similar to that of the Medieval Cities module, although it produces Roman Cities instead of Medieval ones.

Purpose:
The purpose of this module would be to have dynamic cities generated within a general Roman theme.

Structure:
The module being an addition to the Dynamic Cities module would only really require .prefab files. One of which is the culture.prefab file in which a few there are a defining attributes, namely, the name, the building zone ratios, and the growth rate.

The building zones , or district type, within the module are attributes given to each of the buildings to describe the type of building it is in. The districts are defined labelled in their own prefab folder. The districts within the Roman Cities would similarly be either residential, or commercial, but in addition to those it would incorporate government, which would primarily consist of the Senate House, and religious districts.

All the other prefabs are the actual building prefabs themselves in two separate folders. One folder is dedicated to the building templates, which make the use of the Structure Templates module, for the various buildings, and another folder is used for the building prefabs that store: the name of the building, the template name, the district it uses, its minimum and maximum size, and whether it is an Entity or not. And, in essence, that is really all that is needed really in order to create a proper Roman Cities generator as it is mainly an extension to the Dynamic Cities module.

The buildings that would really be necessary for the module to be in existence would probably be (including links to images:

Extendibility:

Extending the module would be very easy for other developers to do. If you wanted to add more Roman buildings to the module, one would only just have to create a structure template for the building and a general prefab for the building.

Rufus

Contributor
Oh okay, I think what I'm going to do then is just create five buildings excluding the Colosseum (and the ones you're working on) in a separate repository, and then I'll merge the files with the shared repo.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Bump! I'm finally catching up with the forum after GCI and other recent fun stuff.

First of: @Rufus have a contributor badge :) We still need to hand out a bunch more badges, only getting to them when I notice by chance

Second: Can you, @MandarJ, or mdj117 (huh, does he not have a forum account? Anybody know? If not maybe ping him via GitHub issue) take a look at the module after the change @Florian submitted to StructureTemplates changing the way building facing works? I think all the buildings are now facing the same way plus there are some errors in the log as a city grows. Details over at http://forum.terasology.org/threads/structure-templates.1550/page-2#post-14536 - I would really appreciate it! :)

Rufus

Contributor
Bump! I'm finally catching up with the forum after GCI and other recent fun stuff.

First of: @Rufus have a contributor badge :) We still need to hand out a bunch more badges, only getting to them when I notice by chance

Second: Can you, @MandarJ, or mdj117 (huh, does he not have a forum account? Anybody know? If not maybe ping him via GitHub issue) take a look at the module after the change @Florian submitted to StructureTemplates changing the way building facing works? I think all the buildings are now facing the same way plus there are some errors in the log as a city grows. Details over at http://forum.terasology.org/threads/structure-templates.1550/page-2#post-14536 - I would really appreciate it! :)
Hey,
I'll definitely look through this and make the necessary in this following week. I'm really busy with school work this week, but next week I have off, so I'll definitely get to work on it :) , add some new stuff, and finish some other things I was working on for the City previously that I've neglected to upload.

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Another bump since I'm only now keeping up with GCI contributions... So little time, so much to be done. Anyways, what is the state of this? I'd like to those cities in action, maybe with some roman style textures and block shapes (tile roofs, columns, etc.)?

Moreover, a Roman city has a different street layout than a medieval one. The city generation would need some work to enable for customizations in that direction (maybe even for road generation), but this would be interesting nevertheless.