[Sep 29, 2012] Terasology 1st birthday! (Google Hangout)

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Final detail round-up! See also the main TeraCraft server thread
  • Server has been linked to #terasology on Freenode IRC for bi-directional communication so anything you say in one spot will be heard in the other. Please keep language at least somewhat clean ;)
  • Google Hangout will be up and everything streamed live. If you set up for Google+ you'll be able to share your Tekkit window and switch between different people's perspectives as well as participate in voice chat
  • Idea is to start together, stay together, build a safehouse at spawn and a nice communal home there or very nearby. We want to do this in style, so feel free to focus on decorative stuff, just don't get killed :D
  • World will be wiped and replaced with a new (and nicer!) seed when we start. I can save a copy of the old one if somebody wants it, it is full of holes though!
  • One life - if you die please either disconnect or let me know if you want to play non-interactive camera person (if you have screen sharing working via Google Hangouts). I wasn't able to get the hardcore flag working.
  • Mood is meant to be light-hearted and fun - this is not serious business. If somebody dies for unexpected reasons (server issues, etc) we might resurrect that person but in return spend time building a monument for the miracle or so ;)
  • Minions addon seemed able to cause server crashes, so leaving it disabled for the event. It might come back later for testing / inspiration
  • Mo'Creatures is still in and dangerous - stay together, don't wander off! If you haven't verified your setup on the server yet be extra careful - if not set up right the MoC mobs may be invisible!
  • I may spend most my time hiding in a glass dome totally not shivering in fear as I deal with administrative issues like whitelist/addon help. Yeah, that's the reason. Admin stuff. Uh huh.
  • Use of anything in Tekkit including EE is enabled - lets see how hard it is before possibly adding constraints for future attempts. I do suggest staying away from total OP stuff like quantum armor or ranged attacks in the End more powerful than enchanted bows though ;)
  • There will likely be some breaks in the streaming - Hangouts allows 4 hour continuous blocks and we might need breaks (I'll likely go poof for a while after the first 2-3 hours to go work on my RL roof a bit)
  • Old world will stay online overnight. New world might be permanent after the challenge is over - depends on what people think of it (I just flew around to verify biome availability and thought the world overall looked nice)
And as a final note - this is not happening under very controlled circumstances, we do not have the luxury (or fun, sigh!) Node had when they did this challenge LAN party style without live streaming. Incidentally, their part 6 video is up and is a fitting end to the saga (and a good example of doing it in style!). So expect technical problems and hilarity to ensue :3

We might try something similar later if people enjoy this. If I make it to Germany around May 1st maybe we can even do it LAN party style with different rules there ;)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Event has concluded, server stays up - thanks everybody for the fun, we'll have to do it again sometime with the setup more solid and fewer deaths. At least we did get the ender dragon in a legit fashion, even if half of us went down ;)

Might do a bigger write-up sometime but after we "finished" I went into a strange decorative trance and overhauled the spawn safehouse just a tad and now it is late ... :

Tekkit_2012-10-01_02-42-33.pngTekkit_2012-10-01_02-42-42.pngTekkit_2012-10-01_02-42-50.pngTekkit_2012-10-01_02-42-57.pngTekkit_2012-10-01_02-43-06.pngTekkit_2012-10-01_02-43-18.png Tekkit_2012-09-30_21-57-17.png

(Oh, also found an unusually angry volcano. And there's a creeper in the ravine behind the window in the first shot)

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Nice! We all have to put some screens in here :) There was so much nice created ...

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Video of the End battle up:

I've got tons more footage but am not sure it is worth posting, it isn't very entertaining without voice chat, but maybe for the few interested people it'll be nice :)

Our nether invasion (or the occasional ogre battle, etc) might be the main other interesting spots, but ... meh, lets just get the streaming & voice working right next time ;)

I wouldn't mind doing this again within three months or so, this time better prepared, with the rules more harshly enforced, and with creative mode, err, I mean EE off :D