Tav

Tav

• Name: Tav
  • Skills / Tools: I'm a senior in Computer Science with a fair amount of java experience and a dabbling of C#, but very little game development experience. Less relevantly I'm fairly proficient in HTML, CSS, PHP, and SQL.
  • Found via: I'm working on a similar project just to learn about the process of game development, and did some googling for research.
  • Interests: Video games in general are pretty great. I think there are a ton of possibilities for making games with an engine similar to what Minecraft has, and would like to be a (probably small) part of what comes out of this new genre. Programming is my thing - so I'm just trying to get some experience doing that.
  • Extra: I should probably post this in the dev forum, but I've started looking through the source just to try to get a feel for how it works. Do you have any documentation (UML or whatever else) going? One thing I'm very curious about is what sort of rendering optimizations are in place. I see you ignore quads that are touching, but what else is going on to speed things up?

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Welcome! Currently we have some limited initial documentation in the wiki (couple pages public so far) and try to comment the code well. I wrote an architecture page on how the new block loading system works, although that was before it got integrated and we did a package setup shuffle, so it already needs an update. We're right in the middle of some move/rename activity, after that's done we'll get back on more docs :)

begla could inform more on the optimization techniques, I think some are listed here and there in the dev forum threads, you might catch a few by looking around :)

Any thoughts on what specifically you'd like to contribute?