Wernesgruner's Intro

Wernesgruner

• Name: Wernesgruner
  • Social:
    Twitter: @Leduc_cc
    Everywhere: Wernesgruner
    The frozen (more often than not) valleys of Quebec, Canada.
  • Skills / Tools:
    I've been playing around with different programming languages since I was twelve years old. Visual Basic 6 was the first language I've learnt but I quickly moved on when a friend of mine introduced me to PHP 8 years ago and to this day, it is probably the only one with which I am truly confident of my abilities. Yet throughout the years I have toyed with C/C++, having fun forking open source botnets and such, I've also fooled around a bit with python and ruby but I never dug into those languages since I couldn't think of a project that I couldn’t already do with PHP in half the time. Finally about three years ago I got interested in OOP and the tutorial I was reading was in Java. So basically I used it to get into OOP and forgot about it (a bit too quickly if you ask me).
    Then Minecraft came out and I was just not quite satisfied with it as it was and I started fixing bugs for myself and my server's community. Then I started making simple mods with hMod and bukkit.
    When Forge came out I started using it but the lack of documentation and hooks where such a hassle that I started to consider just going back to modding the game directly but honestly, I don't like Minecraft orientation, I really want to take it to next level but I feel like mojang is slowly turning it into a huge mudball.
  • Found via: Googling for Minecraft Dwarf Fortress mod
  • Interests:
    Well first of all, I've never worked with 3d and my only game development experience is modding Minecraft and remaking board games in Visual Basic. But I'm quite a voxel game enthusiast and I can't get enough of Minecraft. I'm also a big fan of Dwarf Fortress and it has always been quite frustrating to have to choose between a game with a proper GUI and a game with lots of games mechanics and features. I was pretty much expecting Minecraft to eventually reach Dwarf Fortress's level in term of game mechanics when I first started playing, but its quite obvious that this isn't going to happen with Mojang current strategy.
    So basicly there are two things main things on which I would like to contribute and the first would be game mechanics; Circuitry, pressure, electrical power, thermal interactions, volumetric gases and liquids.
    And the second would be to work on building proper documentation for modders and contributors.
  • Extra:
    I currently work as a PHP integrator for a small company in downtown Montreal and attend college in human science so I don't have huge amount of day time but I suffer from severe insomnia and this kind of project is exactly what I need.
    I'm a self-taught programmer so I suspect I might have picked up a lot of bad habits but I'm sure that working with other coders could improve that.
    I never worked with git before I might need a bit of help getting the source setup.
    So yea, you guys seem to have a really nice community going on there and I look forward to contribute to this project.

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Hello and welcome, Wernesgruner :)
Your intro sounds like you are in the perfect place, now.

A good starting point might be my overview thread. For game mechanics you might want to contact Immortius, who is currently working on the Entity System. The (quite technical) game mechanics would fit quite good into the current world lore thoughts about different fractions/steampunk stuff and so on. ;)

And yeah, the proper documentation is not the best at the moment. Descriptions about features are quite split up on the forums and the git wiki pages. We all have to do more about documention, I think. :rolleyes:
For me, the main issue in writing good and comprising documentions is the fact that a lot of things are changing quite fast during the development (and so I'm mostly focusing on feature development rather than on documentation :oops:).

Though, your intro sounds promising. :) We're happy about any helping hand, so once more - welcome! ;)

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hi there Wernesgruner ! As Skaldarnar points out it sounds like you're in the perfect place, so welcome! :)

For Git there's a Dev Setup page in the GitHub wiki, although I'll acknowledge that Git can take a little getting used to ;)

Would you like to take a look at some of our discussion on a fancy liquid system or maybe block dynamics (another thread and yet another) that could help power that and similar systems (maybe needed for mechanics)? The nice part about being full open source is that you can tweak straight at the lowest level and help make the hooks for modding so much more powerful

So look around and let us know if you find anything interesting you'd like to work on. Comment / ask questions often, fork the code, commit early for more feedback, etc, the more back and forth the better - helps the motivation :D

Nym Traveel

Contributor
Art
World
Hi there :)
If someone would face up with the liquid system this would be very awesome :D

Welcome on board!

Immortius

Lead Software Architect
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
Hi Wernesgruner.

If you have any questions at all about the code feel free to drop me a line. There are a lot of pieces that are still falling into place, including a proper system for modding - but that should be coming soon. :)

Wernesgruner

Thanks a lot for your warm welcome! I am indeed thinking a lot about this water issue and I have been for quite a long time as I already tried to implement this in Minecraft.
I am about to drop some design ideas, thanks to my insomnia.

Anyways, I'd really like to start testing stuff but I still have troubles getting the source to work to compile without errors. Its probably due to the fact that I use a 1.7 sdk.

Immortius

Lead Software Architect
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
Ah, yeah. We're currently sticking to 1.6 of the JDK, because of some concerns around it not working on the Mac (as described here).

The other trickiness is that groovy is used to a tiny degree, so Eclipse users need to install the Groovy plugin before it can compile. It would probably be a 10 minute job to remove that at this stage though.