GSoC 2019 Proposal Draft - Terasology Launcher 4.0

raj

Hello Terasology members :giggle:
I have drafted my first proposal. Please review the proposal and provide me any feedback, so that I can update it accordingly.
Here's the link.

EDIT:
Here's the link to the second draft.

Last edited:

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Pretty nice proposal, well done!

It is probably overly optimistic about what can be achieved in three months - you've got a lot of topics in there. Probably you could move several of them into a stretch goal section. I'd in particular encourage you to move module management in there and possibly GitHub interactions overall as well as those are likely to run into a series of prerequisites involving potentially substantial amounts of times from others that may have a hard time finding said time - I'm guilty of being in that category myself :(

While in theory I could see a seasoned developer with existing exposure to Terasology code maybe making it through all that in one GSOC project better safe than sorry, you can always hit stretch goals if you are able to work fast.

Sometimes that could help substantially at this point is looking into more related code, such as the server facade. There's something keeping it and the game from running together at the moment, plus a few easy things to fix/improve/add. Seeing another related PR or two over the following week would be a very good extra :thumbsup:

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Hi @raj and thanks for the proposal!

I like your ideas for extending the current launcher and how each of the extensions would add some value. I have to agree with @Cervator that your project look quite ambitious, and I doubt that it will be possible to work on all the goals you've stated. Moving some of them into a stretch goal section could give you some room for getting into more detail about the other goals…

Looking forward to the next iteration of your proposal, and further bugfixes =)

Reactions: raj

raj

I was reviewing all my proposed goals and did thorough research on ways of implementing them. I have reorganized my timeline accordingly and moved some of the goals into a stretch goal section. The second draft can be found here. Please review them and send me one last batch of feedback :giggle:

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Nice work, the proposal looks very solid now =) The dark mode needs more green, though :p Left some minor comments, but no major issues or concerns from my side…