Andrew "Jamoozy" Correa

jamoozy

• Name: Andrew "Jamoozy" Correa
  • From: Born in Germany, Raised in CA, live in Cambridge, MA.
  • Tools: GNU/Linux, Eclipse, Vim, Inkscape, some GIMP, make
  • Languages: C/C++, Java, Ruby, Python, PHP, JavaScript, Groovy, bash, LaTeX.
  • Found via: My best buddy, Google.
  • Interests: Succinctly, "polish." I'd like to make this thing slick-looking and easy to use. I don't care if that has to do with making GUIs or digging deep into the core of the game to smooth out some interaction. I'm interested in taking something good, something that's "almost awesome", and taking all the way to "awesome". For example, it would be nice if Minecraft's zip'd texturepacks were loadable. I could work on something like that. Or making the UI that allows key reconfiguration.
  • Extra: I'm a Ph.D. candidate at MIT, CSAIL. You can take a look at my (outdated--but hopefully not for long) website here: http://people.csail.mit.edu/jamoozy I, like you, love Minecraft, but I got extremely annoyed with the 1.0.0 "server key" bug, because I knew I could fix it if I had the code ... but I didn't have the code! So I started to look for an open version (I would've started my own, if I had to).

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Welcome! I know that exact feeling from both Minecraft and Dwarf Fortress, and that really made me want to go for it too. I figured there would be others like that out there :)

I've been working on making this game as extendable as possible since I found it (embedding Groovy, leaving hooks for easy plugins, etc), and am seeing an automatic plugin / server manager in the future, akin to what you're saying. Right now I'm overhauling the block definition system in a way I hope will eventually result in (among other things) a "block selection" screen for world gen allowing you to pick and choose, should you wish :geek:

A shorter term item that might be a neat first thing to try would be an options screen in the new GUI that allows changing (some of) the values in groovy/config/Default.groovy (and later that could set key bindings too) - are you set up on GitHub yet? Feel free to give the setup instructions at http://wiki.movingblocks.net/Main/DevSetup and try and let me know if they can be improved :)

jamoozy

Yepp. All set-up on github. Actually, the first thing I did was implemented the ability to read Minecraft texture packs. This involved adding some to Default.groovy a bit and TextureManager.java a lot. If a texturepack doesn't have an expected field, the manager will load the missing texture from the default images.

Doing a config UI sounds good. I'll start looking into that now.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Ah! I see you on GitHub now. I hadn't caught your fork and wasn't watching yet :)

Take a look at this thread (if you aren't allergic to walls of text, anyway - writing them is my weakness): viewtopic.php?f=4&t=77

I'm trying to change the way we do texture / block loading to the individual block level rather than skin packs. That way you can easily mod a single block without having to edit a whole skin pack. Eventually we'd probably want to have our own home-grown textures, but I do like the idea of supporting packs too. Maybe you can provide some feedback on my suggested architecture and see if there's a way to also still support entire packs somehow?

I'm still rusty on the Dev side (been in code management & sys admin for a few years since I last did development) so I'm sure there are lots of tweaks possible to make my crazy ideas work better :geek: