Resolved Bad FPS

therysin

Hello, this is my first time on the forums, and it's nice to be here.
So I downloaded the latest stable build of Teraology today, and it looks great. Problem is, I get like 4 frames per second, and I have a high end PC. (gtx 780 at 1215mhz, fx8350 at 4.5ghz, 16gb vengeance pro RAM).

What I've noticed is that the GPU clock is always at 324 mhz, even when I have graphics on the highest. So it's like my GPU is idling at 30 degrees Celsius, at the lowest clock speed. I get about 30 frames if I drop the graphics a bit, but the GPU is still at idle speeds, it's not even working much(I don't have any integrated graphics either).

Any help with this? And you guys have created an awesome game, well done.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hi therysin and thanks for the kind words!

Interesting observation there. We've got these kinds of odd situations where Terasology runs poorly even on great hardware. Lots of optimizing left to do for sure, and those kinds of observations are key.

With begla away for RL crunch time we don't really have a dedicated 3D wizard looking into graphics issues and optimizations. Sooner or later he'll free up again or somebody else with a degree in visual wizardry will pop up and help out. Or somebody else will find something anyway, we have a lot of smart people around here :)

Edit: In case it might help get some more eyeballs on the topic, would you mind creating an issue on GitHub with your theory, all your details and maybe a screenshot showing debug text in-game ? F3 then F4 will get a bunch of stats showing

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
With a huge branch involving major chunk system refactoring and verified performance fixes I'm going to toggle this to resolved - @therysin if you get a chance to verify that would be appreciated :)

Note: Fixed in unstable. As of this posting the stable branch still predates the big merge that improved performance.