Blockmania - Terrain generation v2

begla

Project Founder and Lead Developer
Contributor
Architecture
Logistics
The terrain of Minecraft 1.0 made me think about the look and feel of Blockmania's current terrain. It is way too abstract and too hard to navigate in. So I started reworking the terrain generation engine and I've just pushed a first preview into develop (including the Bullet Physics integration). Feedback needed!

PS Water is now producing some slight waves

• Rivers no longer produce funny "water mountains" and are carved into the based terrain. This gives the terrain a much more realistic and "epic" look.
  • Mountains are no longer generated "everywhere" and there are frequent plain parts between them
  • Mountains look less freaky
  • Trees are more frequently generated in forests

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Pretty :D

Gearing up to do some dev a little later today, will give it more of a spin then :)

begla

Contributor
Architecture
Logistics
Pushed another big update which drastically changes our terrain generation algorithm. I've developed another approach that allows smooth transitions between mountains and flat regions. I've briefly described this approach in the commit note. The generator now generates mountains up to 256 (hah, outrun Minecraft! ;)) blocks high which results in some impressive structures. See for yourself:

http://yfrog.com/ntx35p
http://yfrog.com/nyng3lp

This needs some serious testing now... But... Definitely need to sleep now. Already 4:00 AM. :shock: :shock: :eek:

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Very nice! And yeah, I was wondering why you were still up :D

I like it, more smooth is good.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I've run around in a fresh world now for a bit and am very happy with the changes. The old terrain was a tad "abrupt" and it was on my wishlist to see a more "rolling" world slowly changing in the distance. The return to 256 blocks I think also adds something, especially with the new terrain. The fancy trees look like they fit in now, scale-wise :D

begla

Contributor
Architecture
Logistics
I've slightly tinkered with the terrain again and added an aura to extend the player's vision at night. Kinda in the style of Dark Souls. Can be bound to torches later on if our inventory is ready.

Love shaders... So many tasks can be completed in just a few LOC. :ugeek:

Adeon

terasology.ru
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
Logistics
Exuse me, please, I've been totally engaged in the search for the mistake in fbo. I've just downloaded your commit. It looks awesome!!!!!! :shock: A couple of ideas about it even came to my mind. But I'll tell about it some time later.

Attachments

begla

Contributor
Architecture
Logistics
Adeon said:
Exuse me, please, I've been totally engaged in the search for the mistake in fbo. I've just downloaded your commit. It looks awesome!!!!!! :shock: A couple of ideas about it even came to my mind. But I'll tell about it some time later.
Glad you like it! ;) Now I am engaged in finding this silly bug with Slick and texture binding which might be the cause of your problem. Makes me nervous. :shock:

begla

Contributor
Architecture
Logistics
I've just spent the day experimenting with all sorts of weird configurations to create some even cooler terrain. And... I think I've found another evolutionary step. I'll need some feedback because it's quite different and maybe a bit more extreme than before.

Here are some nice features I've found near the spawning point in the default world:

Attachments

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I like it. The mountains are very dramatic, yet fit into the terrain well. The transition looks good.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Niiice! Bring on the full potential of 256 z blocks :D

Bottom one looks a little funny, but top one is very epic - maybe we do need multiple cloud layers, hint hint Anton :D

I got past my little obstacle and am coding on something potentially very powerful - when I find the time between AI work and work work :)

begla

Contributor
Architecture
Logistics
Higher and higher mountains sadly conclude in more and more polygons and we're currently hitting the limits here. I've put the "new terrain" into the develop branch but reduced the sample rate a bit. So the mountains will still be very high and "epic" but a bit less detailed. :)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps