Archived Bug..... Please Read

Wolfgange

Hi, I posted a while a go saying my computer was too old for Terasology, and now I'm back with a computer that runs it at 40 fps with max settings.

I first ran it in windows XP, but it was 32 bit. When I ran it then, everthing looked amazing, like normal Terasology. Then I upgraded to Windows 8 (Consumer Preview) 64 bit, which is close to the same as Windows 7. So.. when I go on Terasology now, Things don't look like they did before. And just so you know, I updated to the latest build, and even went on jenkins and got the latest artifact. I notices the following things not present even when on max settings:
-Leaf textures have no transparency (like "fast" settings in Minecraft)
-I don't think torches have any glare or anything
-No what ever that thing is called where when you look at the sky your eyes like "dialate" or something?
-Also, I think, during midday, dirt would like have like, would you say "bloom effect"?

Lastly, I just wanted to compliment everyone who helped/is helping make this aw-striking game. But one thing I don't like is how there's no option to turn off fog on I'm guessing "foggy days".

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hehe, yeah, the fog can be a little overwhelming some days - hint hint begla :D

In the meantime F3 + arrow keys can get you a nice clear day pretty quick ... :)

Windows 8 - my understanding is that video card drivers might be spotty still. Leaf textures did actually go solid a while back, they're not currently see-through with any settings.

Do you have any errors or warnings in the log during startup? It might be valuable to get some more feedback from Windows 8 systems.

Wolfgange

Thanks for the fog tip. I did not find any errors in the log. Also, just out of curiosity, why did you remove transparent leaf textures? Are these bugs?:
-Lava textures flow upwards for me
-Axes/Pickaxes don't make a difference in speed (meaning you can break anything with your hand)
-You don't die/take damage from swimming in lava

@I think Begla, don't you think lava flows a bit too much? I placed a single peice of lava at the top of a mountain and the entire mountain had a sheet of lava, left to right, at the bottom. Its cool though.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
begla changed the leaf blocks due to a rendering issue, I believe it had something to do with rendering the stuff visible through the leaves. Not enough of a wizard to give more details :)

Axes/Pickaxes do differ some depending on the block you're targeting, but yes, you can break everything with your hands too

Lava isn't dangerous yet and liquid system will likely be overhauled eventually :)

And hah, I hadn't noticed that it appears to flow upwards. Just updated #273 with that note for later. Amusingly enough if you fast-forward time with F3 + up arrow then lava appears to flow downwards properly

Thanks for the notes :)

begla

Project Founder and Lead Developer
Contributor
Architecture
Logistics
Leaves are no longer transparent just because there rendering suffers from high frequent textures at many points. And rendering leaves transparent (with our current texture pack) looked more stressful than relaxing to me.

Another reason is that the current rendering pipeline does not deal with alpha reject and alpha blending very well. Might come back some time later though! I don't know the current state of the liquid simulation. But my liquid simulation tended to flow a bit too much. Dunno if that behavior has made a comeback now. ;)