Archived Can't find light settings

Goinidias

I've got an issue with the games lighting. The sun makes everything basically glow white and torches do the same. If I'm in a dark cave, and put down a torch suddenly I need sun block and shades. I've looked over the settings and cruised the search but didn't find anything.
Here a screen capture of a nice dark cave and what I'm seeing after putting down 1 torch.
Terasology-140608150620-1152x700.png

Terasology-140608150638-1152x700.png

Goinidias

Nope. A torch in hand adds to the effect if there is one on the ground, so if I switch to something that doesn't add light it gets a bit better. It's pretty constant on whatever side of the world the sun is on, or wherever I place a torch.

Marcin Sciesinski

Code ALL the Ages!
Contributor
World
Architecture
So, without doing anything for a minute (not touching keyboard/mouse) you still get this kind of brightness? I remember I saw a code somewhere, that was simulating the real-world scenario, where if you were in dark environment and the environment goes bright, you get blinded for some time.

Goinidias

Aye. Doesn't seem to fade with inactivity and I get a similar effect off in the distance standing in sunlight. You want some screen shots of it outside as well?

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I think this is #957, #667, and/or #899 - the bloom / torchlight effects can be overwhelming on some systems / some settings and stack up. I don't think it is something we have any real settings for currently, unless the bloom effect gets toned down on lower graphic quality settings.

We need to actually tweak at how the code / 3d wizardry works. begla commented a while back on one of the issues:

begla said:
That's because the particles are finally being blended correctly. But since they're being blended additively... It might be wise to tune down the opacity of the sprites a bit. Guess that's even possible via a fancy description of the emitter with all the recent changes?
Maybe that is specific to the particle bloom, but it is bound to all be similar in the end and we need to fix it. Need more 3d wizards! :)

manu3d

Contributor
Architecture
I had the same problem too and disabled the bloom filter if I remember correctly. I'm looking into modern opengl (>3.0) right in this period so that I can understand what the engine does from a graphics perspective. As I go through it I might eventually find the cause of this issue, but I don't want to promise anything just yet.