Cartography tool

begla

Project Founder and Lead Developer
Contributor
Architecture
Logistics
The cool server side plugin that generates those dynamic maps of Rasmus' private Minecraft server made me think. Implementing a small cartography tool might come in real handy for tweaking the terrain generation algorithm. Just wanted to put this on the forum so I don't forget the idea. Might directly become a separate project on GitHub that is capable of reading existing chunk files in the user's Blockmania root directory.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I was wondering about it too, and thought maybe it would even be possible to adapt one of the MC mappers, since there'd probably be open source ones, and the worlds don't differ that much.

At the same time I'm torn - I think we'd definitely want one for development, and the one on the server I'm playing on is super helpful and adds a nice touch to the game. Yet cartography also would make for great in-game content. Maybe it is just one of those things where we should provide both and let the players pick which they prefer :)

Or maybe.. perhaps down the road the in-game cartography minions could themselves be responsible for generating a dynamic map