Changes with build 192 & friends (Immortius merge)

begla

Project Founder and Lead Developer
Contributor
Architecture
Logistics
Cervator edit: Split out from a Xenforo feedback thread, mostly relates to changes from build 192

All of this stuff is pretty technical I'm afraid :)

But I've been doing some friendly badgering of begla and Immortius occasionally on pointers or quick fixes to expand into using the negative range of the block ID byte so we can get you back up to speed and also add the nice new plants from eleazzaar as well :cool:
Could you point me to the SPOF? :notworthy: What exactly is already works using negative block ids, what is not working, what happens when negative block ids are used in the rendering process and so on.

Immortius

Lead Software Architect
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
The negative block ids should work in my develop branch - I removed some checks that were breaking it as part of my world refactoring.

Basically Chunk was rejecting negative ids.

begla

Contributor
Architecture
Logistics
Nice - so you could put that in some time! :thumbsup: I'll push in some rendering related optimizations and changes. Seems like I broke some stuff a while ago when everyone was complaining that the game was too shiny. Now everything was actually too dark at night. Especially on "Ugly".

Will create a feedback thread for that.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Woo, stuff happened!

Immortius - is your develop safe to integrate, since it also contains all the multiplayer (prep) stuff now? Or should we extract something specific to the block IDs? If safe, could you pull the latest from the main develop then? Feel free to push your stuff in too, or I can do that and mark another push to master + assorted change notes :)

And yay fixing ugly :D

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
hmmm be carefull with negative ID's I remember part of the console not supporting it, namely the block list I think

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Thanks for the catch - this would mainly be a temp fix to tide us over till we get a bigger ID :)

Immortius

Lead Software Architect
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
Woo, stuff happened!

Immortius - is your develop safe to integrate, since it also contains all the multiplayer (prep) stuff now? Or should we extract something specific to the block IDs? If safe, could you pull the latest from the main develop then? Feel free to push your stuff in too, or I can do that and mark another push to master + assorted change notes :)

And yay fixing ugly :D
The rule I'm going by now is I'm only put stuff in my develop branch if it is safe for consumption. There is a little bit of multiplayer stuff in there which probably needn't be, but it isn't hooked up to anything so it isn't a problem.

It is a big change though - it invalidates existing worlds (different chunk ID method), so best delete all your worlds and start fresh.

begla - When integrating your changes I moved the fog PerlinNoise into the BiomeProvider, which I envision should be developed into a provider of various information that is consumed by world generators and other sources about the world.

begla

Contributor
Architecture
Logistics
Roger that! Looking into fixing the applet now. Might only be a missing new library.

begla

Contributor
Architecture
Logistics
Immortius Would you mind looking into adding the missing libraries to the "index.html"-file? I've added a few, but seems like I'm missing something.

Otherwise your changes work beautifully. Only quirk I've seen is that the light does not fade below water anymore. So you can see the whole ocean ground.

EDIT: Forget it. Found the missing library. Applet is working beautifully again. :omg:

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
hmmm be carefull with negative ID's I remember part of the console not supporting it, namely the block list I think
I was just trying to test that but I don't see the command in GroovyManager - did it go poof at some point?

World still looks good to me, tho did liquid always expose its empty sides as much as it does now? A single lava block sunk into a hole in the ground frequently hovers "above" its neighbors so you can look under it, likewise for water block in some spots :)

Totally need to start splitting these threads when they go off-topic tho :laugh:

Immortius

Lead Software Architect
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
The liquids simulation is probably not as good as the old one (I'm afraid I couldn't work out exactly what it was doing, and simply copying it was resulting in the world being filled with liquid, probably due to it not being deterministic and the changes to how simulations were handled in general). Also there needs to be an event added when a chunk becomes "available" for use so that the simulations can do their initial work. At the moment liquid blocks are randomly spawned like they used to be, but they don't flow.

I think the blockList command is in GroovyHelpManager. I had a brief scan over it and saw nothing that would break with negatives - the method iterating over ids was slightly off, missing the min and max byte.

I keep forgetting to add libraries to index.html. Really we should have that file generated during build, with the list added from the actual libraries present.

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
help blockList is not a real groovy command

just typing help should guide you the way though :p

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I was looking for it typing plain "help" but didn't see blockList - am I just blind? :)

Edit: tried "help commandList" too (can't remember if that's the exact name, but I got a list of commands but couldn't see a blockList)

Edit2: Okay, "help blockList" does work, just isn't listed via plain "help" or "help commandList" - that's minor :)