Resolved Crash as soon as I use the pickaxe on anything

heavp

The game runs and I can create a world and walk around, wherever I want. As soon as I click with the pickaxe or anything else on any kind of material, the game freezes and crashes the X server.
Here's the log:

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=34HFDLLi

I'm on an I3, HD5470, 4 gigs of ram, and using the game version I found into the AUR repository.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hi heavp :)

We do not actually maintain the Terasology entry in the AUR repo, although it looks like it is pretty recent right now. I don't know if the game being packaged differently can contribute to the problem though. It looks like you've got build 1092, I just tried the latest 1095 and it seems fine, but then I'm on Windows.

The log looks incomplete - there's a bunch of diagnostics stuff before "Welcome to Terasology" and it doesn't seem to end with an obvious crash. Do you have more on either end?

Only thing that sticks out is

Code:
13:52:40.761 [main] WARN  org.terasology.asset.AssetManager - Unable to resolve asset: texture:engine:color.ff0000ff
Which might relate to the recent module system refactoring in PR 1152 which mentioned some asset case sensitivity issues - maybe Immortius or Marcin Sciesinski can confirm :)

heavp

You're absolutely right, my bad.
Here is the whole log:
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=HxyY5APm

And about the crash, I have been incorrect: the game never really crashes, it just forces xorg to go black for a while and then come back. But from that moment I can't use gnome, the only thing that I can do is to open a tty and kill the game and gdm...
Or use an hard core "sudo kill -9 -1"...

Thank you very much for your assistance!

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
I just tested the AUR package and it turns out to work fine for me. I created a Perlin world, and I can use the pickaxe and other tools. Can you provide us with more information about your system?

Edit: Woops, too slow :D It seems to me that the second log file is from a "Stable 38" game version, and the Nightly 1092? (Stable 38 is the other package in AUR).

heavp

Sure, I forgot to mention it, I tried also the development package, with the same result. The logs are very similar, I accidentally posted the one regarding the development package.

I can post an lspci, if you want. For what regards the video drivers, I am using the open source one: xf86-video-ati. I also tried downloading the game from the site, with the same result...

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hmm, still nothing good in the game log, but this is reminding me of similar behavior in the past. At least I think we've heard of similar situations on Linux. Right now the closest thing I can find is https://github.com/MovingBlocks/Terasology/issues/699 but that's about mouse behavior (and full screen, which we misplaced in the options - there's a pending PR bringing it back)

I won't be much help on deeper Linux investigation I'm afraid, just Windows boxes here :( We have a few people like Skaldarnar here or Marcin Sciesinski that might be able to help figuring it out (I'm curious if that mouse issue is still active)

Marcin Sciesinski

Code ALL the Ages!
Contributor
World
Architecture
The following error might be due to an error I recently pointed out in the PR 1152, Immortius will be probably fixing it (if not yet fixed):
Unable to resolve asset: texture:engine:color.ff0000ff