endless tactics

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
Hi there,

I really like the direction you set for the terasology project. I wish I had the know how / time to do something similar. I have a couple ideas, and lack ability to bring em to life. Just tossing them out, see if maybe you like em or do something with em in the long run.

Anyway, getting on topic, I always wondered what would happen if you combined a minecraft world with a tactics alike combat system, so turn based instead of real time. it might be completely different of what you want to do, but if not, it's something I'd gladly dedicate some of my own time to. I wouldn't call myself a programmer, but I do have some xp in it and did mess around with java a bit in eclipse so far in an attempt to make minecraft mods work together a little more nicely and try to make some stuff myself.

I'm a big dungeon keeper fan, I'd really like to see a game like that again, I hope you succeed in your setup.

If the idea intrigues you and/or you think I could contribute, I'd like to help bring the world to life hehe... was also wondering if anyone else would have liked to see something similar, or whether they would enjoy such a thing.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Certainly doesn't hurt to share your ideas, we welcome that. Something might come up that then makes sense for contributing :)

Turn-based tactics in a voxel world - it could work! You're essentially just slowing down time and adding more control to it. Like pausing the game in Dwarf Fortress, Baldur's Gate, etc.

Keep in mind tho how it might impact multiplayer and such. Unless you're just hoping to do a single player thing :)

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
Well,

original idea was to make it single player yes, with the arrival of minecraft other ideas began growing like a bubble (or giant cube heh) around a battle field, which on contact lets you queue in to join the fight if you want to. The way I pictured it so far was that overland mobs would actually be a group of mobs, and that you yourself have other npc's in your party, and that on contact said bubble would enclose the batlle field and a different play mode. Initiating fields close enough to each other could actually merge them for bigger battle fields (possibly)

I'd combine that with some dungeon/ village building, where you could enter a "creative" mode where you sculpt the building, have some worker post which determines what resources are needed to build it and then have workers build it once you leave "creative", combined with the ability to save a blueprint to build it again if you want, or even place the blueprint and then add some modifications to it..

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Great minds think alike :D

I too was considering if you could do "time bubbles" in a larger world to allow players or groups of players to play at different passages of time. Admittedly that was mostly a hypothetical "How would you implement multiplayer in DF" scenario, but hey, sounds similar :)

Blueprinting involved in construction is already in the planning phase. We've got blueprint classes and I've been tinkering with a fancy portal blueprint just as a placeholder.

So yeah, maybe helping out by working out more technical details on such concepts could be something. Keep an eye out for blueprinting to be fleshed out further either way :)

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
haven't had time yet to look at code etc, but as far as blueprints go, I'm not really sure myself. I looked in aw at what the guy from mythruna did, I actually had fun creating a gargoyle and then spamming the world with it. But his blueprint is fixed size, so my best guess would be to start from that, and actually incorporate it in the game play (some blueprint scale tech) where you would start with like a 10X10 blueprint and grow from there. But that's just how I would do it.

Just a question, will blue prints work like that? You design a building, assign it a function like workshop etc by placing certain blocks in it and then you place it and minions build it?

I like mods like sim-u-kraft but I'm demanding and in the end what I really miss is the ability to customize said buildings for starters. But sim-u-kraft actually let's you create your own blueprints using 3 markers to set Y and Z and then determine how high the building is by detecting "air" above blocks.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
There is a lot of potential in Blueprints, and several different ways you could use them. Too early for exact details, but currently I lean towards "all of the above" - as long as we find the time to do it :)

For starters:

* "prefab" blueprints that are just structures you can place (like portals)
* Type definitions to go with the above that would put requirements on what must be included in a blueprint for it to function as something specific (again, like a portal), so players could tweak and add decorations yet still qualify for a function
* Designations of some sort that would make up workshop areas or safeguard structures from permanent destruction (you could still reveal the original blueprint and make tweaks or rebuild)
* Shrinkers that would consist of an x by x by x area (2s, 4s, 8s..) and turn whatever the player places in there into a single-block version (similar to Mythruna) - tho down the road that would be a workshop complete with special requirements, waste, etc

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
that sounds very ambitious. For now, I'll get acquainted with the code a bit, and try to solve some issues along the line as suggested in the forums, see how that goes and if my coding is acceptable. If so, I'll try to give you some time to do all of the above.

1:I think that a turn basic strategy game in Terasology should be a special gamemode so that the ones who wants to play plays it. Maybe you could then win special items in battles that will be transferred to another of your singleplayer worlds.

2: Could blueprints be used to look at a 3D model of a building to help you get ideas or build that building by yourself? This would be good if these blueprints are something you find out in the world and/or in villages. Then we could have own blueprints that you craft to make it show what you built. Then maybe you could enchant a bluesprint in some way: then you only have to click on the ground with the blueprint in your hand to build the building automatically in just a second or two.