Inactive Flying system

Wolfgange

I was exploring a world in Terasology the other day with hspeed and hjump, and it was amazing to explore the world jumping insanely high. Would it be possible to add a flight system (possible activated by a function key or a specific crafted object).

What I mean by a flight system is something like Mario's Flight Cap in super mario 64 in 1st person, or like flying a model airplane where as you descend, your speed increases, and as your ascend, your speed decreases. This would be a unique Freestyle flying method (rather than the generic Minecraft-Style Floating in creative) and it would create a new aspect of parkour. Furthermore, in survival this could be another method of transportation (Walk to the top of a cliff and then glide down it to travel a far distance by air).

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Sounds good to me, in the past somebody also referenced the neat glider in Cubeworld. It might be a while until WoodAndStone reaches the aerial age though! :D

It shouldn't be too hard to do either. But somebody needs to do it, and hopefully in a novel fashion :)

Wolfgange

Sounds good to me, in the past somebody also referenced the neat glider in Cubeworld.
Yes, this sounds exactly like what I described, except with more physics (vertical movement and speed/acceleration). Soon, if I have the time I'll try coding a simple mod for Terasology. The project's so big (At least compared to what I've worked with xD), I just don't know where to start.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
To start:
  1. Install IntelliJ
  2. Install GitHub for Windows or git clone https://github.com/MovingBlocks/Terasology.git
  3. gradlew createModuleMyFirstModule
  4. gradlew idea
  5. Add a 16x16 block png under that module's assets/blockTiles/auto directory
  6. Run game and ask the console for your block with giveBlock "blockname"
Done! Onwards to then make something slightly fancier, then fancier, then fancier, etc :D

Immortius

Lead Software Architect
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
I will say that movement modes aren't very moddable at the moment, due to the tricky considerations around client-side prediction and so forth. The work would have to be done in engine.

Wolfgange

To start:
  1. Install IntelliJ
  2. Install GitHub for Windows or git clone https://github.com/MovingBlocks/Terasology.git
  3. gradlew createModuleMyFirstModule
  4. gradlew idea
  5. Add a 16x16 block png under that module's assets/blockTiles/auto directory
  6. Run game and ask the console for your block with giveBlock "blockname"
Done! Onwards to then make something slightly fancier, then fancier, then fancier, etc :D
I've already setup the project in eclipse (with help from irc), but what should the name of the block png be? The same as "MyFirstModule"?

Next, where can I find the code for the example mod included in Terasology, to get an idea of how it is structured and its capabilities?

Cervator edit: Discussion ensued on IRC

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
[...] but what should the name of the block png be? The same as "MyFirstModule"?
You can name the block however you want, e.g. "BirchPlanks.png" if you made something like that. The new block will occur in the game with the given name ;)

Next, where can I find the code for the example mod included in Terasology, to get an idea of how it is structured and its capabilities?
You can find a lot of modules here in GitHub: https://github.com/Terasology/
Not all of them are up-to-date, but the ones with recent activity should be a good source for you ;)