Gametype: ExBlocksion

Esereja

Contributor
I was playing not too long ago with my friend worms 3d(don't remember proper name and it is not important anyway) and after getting frustrated of low amount of changeable things of game play. I came up with idea: Terasology with explosives and guns. As seen with worms and similar games of this genre, simple is fun. Think how easy is to turn this to actual game play in terasology. Now that Multiplayer is getting to testing part, thinks needed for rudimentary version of this game play to work is:
-Player model(I soooo Waaaant this style:
)
-atleast 1 model of small flying cube, as projectile (probably possible with scaling existing cube model)
-code to efficiently make cubes disappear where projectile lands(so that game doesn't lag with thousands of cubes flying all around)
-some game rules for player to spawn after dead to right places, to count deads/points
-some way to get different gunst to players.(like in chest in city, btw thanks @msteiger for his code to generate cities)

I am going to start working to make code for explosions. What you guys think for idea. Oh and ideas how we could create this playable as simple as possible are very welcome. Complicating seems to be in our blood anyway so I am sure we get ideas what to add after we get something simple working.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
That's a great idea! I love the "Worms" series, there are too many entries to name. And yes the timing is good with multiplayer and all :)

Welcome back, by the way, Esereja !

Fun little video too. Reminds me of the "expressive Bob" thing.

I think the biggest thing will be coming up with the structure for gameplay, which should be more "turn based" than standard gameplay IMHO (real-time wouldn't differentiate it enough from normal play, I think). Players/creatures would need to be frozen in place and only given a set of actions and movement points. Probably a small finite world with interesting features in it.

The physics and explosions are there already, as are little blocks flying all over the place. Try first making the railgun behave better again, it is a tad too "swiss cheesy" creating a vast blast tunnel yet removing very few blocks. Throwable "lit" TNT would be another good one. Which feeds right into mortars, explosive bananas, and holy handgrenades :ninja:

Esereja

Contributor
I don't thing turn based is necesity, I mean running away of explosion is allways fun.
I think perfomace boost is gained atleast for now by just deleting blocks at explosion, that way they wont be renderend later on

Esereja

Contributor
you know what afterr we get guns and explosives work we do this:
There is so much minecraft minigame that makes me feel shame, that there is nothing playaple in terasology yet. we should be able to do some of them whit out too much of work.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
That's fine too, but then that makes it Deathmatch, not Worms :D

All we need to start deathmatch right now is making the railgun hurt players ;)

IMHO true turn-based Worms / Scorched Earth is what would be really cool and kinda novel. Either way deathmatch is a natural milestone on the way there :)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about advanced modelling right now. IMHO we need working gameplay more. Model polish comes later :)

Seeing the L&S models animate and move around doing stuff using the behavior trees from synopia is awesome and adding held tools to that (which glasz is playing with) is pushing the limits right now, and way beyond other parts of the game that needs effort more.

Would be cool to see models that can fall apart, which is probably the next step after attachable tools.

But deathmatch? Railgun and physics hooooo!

Mike Kienenberger

Contributor
Architecture
GUI
I looked at the license again, and you would have to release the module containing the model as CC-by-sa as well, since your derived work must also be CC-by-sa. I would not think that would be an issue, and I think I saw a thread talking earlier about allowing other licenses in modules.

I'm looking forward to using it.

Esereja

Contributor
I don't think that licence is proplem as it only needs us to mention who has made and edited model, and keep it under same licence. But even commercial use is allowed so I belive it is compatible licence.

Esereja

Contributor
I think We need to make posible to disable core module as I am writing alternative core for ExBlocksion.
<edit>
I meant we need to be able to turn of core module to enable diferent game play. but this guestion was answerd at irc and by your next post. And yeah I am somewhat horriple to explain me self in writen text.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
We need a "confused" rating for this latest post - not sure what you mean :)

The fate of the Core module is likely to fade away into more specific modules over time. It is just a good intermediate dumping ground from stuff getting extracted out of the engine.

Some of said modules will help provide alternatives for various bits of functionality, so it might be some of those you want to eventually override.

Be careful about getting too deep into the technical roots of the engine. I remember seeing a discussion on running extra threads and things on IRC the other day - stuff that would not be allowed into the engine without some serious review and tweaks if at all (and modules would likely be banned from such deep integration) - really there are vastly easier and immediately useful tweaks to explosions that could be completed and committed in no time. Don't over-engineer and never commit, start small and build up :)

Esereja

Contributor
I am just making things first working and then ask what people want to be changed. And game mode is completly outside engine. No changes in engine, so it shouldn't be big proplem.

Immortius

Lead Software Architect
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
I agree that core should be optional. It was only made mandatory because there wasn't much of a game without it at the time. Do be aware that some functionality like inventory and health will be moving out of engine eventually, but I guess you can just add dependencies on the modules they move too at that time, if you use them.

Esereja

Contributor
It will be good that as much as posible is in modules, thats how we can modify them in way we want.