Git is killing me :D

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
So I tried to get back up to speed merging my mob/portal changes with the latest from begla/develop - wasn't quite sure where to best resolve the conflict, so at first I had refreshed my master branch figuring maybe I could just nicely prep the merges on my local system before pushing them anywhere, using master/develop together somehow ...

.... 77 commits later desperately trying to fix my horribly messed up local develop branch has resulted in a proper and neat looking merge, aside from that whole 77 commits now listed, which includes me trying to pull changes into develop, then trying to revert as it is easier to first update a raw branch then apply my changes on top, then somehow managing to flag every single commit since I cloned in the first place ;)

So rebasing is supposed to fix that, squashing all those messy commits into a set of simple actual changes to push to my origin/develop, but it fails seemingly trying to auto-merge stuff from as far back as when the sun was added :cool:

Argh!

The cause of the hassle relates to a few changes:

* I moved a few things into the game package (blueprints and mobs)
* Blockmania main class also got moved into the game package
* We both moved MobManager usage from Blockmania to World (and the renderAll() moved, interesting additional bug there - slimes render black without the renderAll() in World.render())
* Vector#f package switched to a javax version rather than lwjgl

But all that is sorted out in my local develop and works again (I've busily been blowing up terrain flooded with portal-spawned slime cubes!) - now I just can't push it anywhere without likely polluting the revision graph with an identical remix of every revision since I cloned, argh :D

My familiarity with Perforce is probably screwing me over here, there I can revert or even obliterate revisions to keep stuff nice and clean. I think Git might be smart enough to handle the push, but worry that if it doesn't I'll just pollute my origin/develop branch as well. Blah :)

Worst case scenario maybe I'll take the chance to fork to the Nanoware organization, then blow up my personal develop and re-fork somehow. Anyway - nearly 3 am and I'm beat :D

Just so I don't lose my main commit message, here's a copy of it committed to my local (at this point I believe I had reset my local develop back to prior to when I made the mob/portal changes, then pulled the latest from begla/develop on top of that, was then trying to pull my changes from origin/develop):
Code:
Conflicts: groovy/blocks/Default.groovy 
groovy/plugins/SlimeToolAddon.groovy 
src/com/github/begla/blockmania/game/Blockmania.java 
src/com/github/begla/blockmania/game/mobs/Slime.java 
src/com/github/begla/blockmania/tools/MultipleSelectionTool.java 
src/com/github/begla/blockmania/tools/RectangleSelectionTool.java 
src/com/github/begla/blockmania/world/main/World.java    

Merge branch 'develop' of github.com:Cervator/Blockmania into develop - tricky from moved files on both sides and the swap of the Vector#f classes from lwjgl to a javax variety. Of special notice is the updateTick() going back to "normal" from my side which includes the spawn tick stuff. It also includes an interesting bug - the MobManager.renderAll() is done in two places, which isn't right, but if the one in World.render() is removed the little slime cubes render in black.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Blah, yeah, as expected pushing included every single commit ever. The actual changes I made are here: https://github.com/Cervator/Blockmania/ ... 38eed3174c

But the monster push listing everything (enough to lag my machine for a moment loading it...) is here: https://github.com/Cervator/Blockmania/ ... 3bc37d33d8

Tried opening the Network tab from my repo and it is still spinning after about a minute or two :roll:

Yeah might be time to blow up that branch and simply copy paste the few changes I made to a new one!

begla

Project Founder and Lead Developer
Contributor
Architecture
Logistics
Sorry I could not help here. But I am resolving problems with Git only using trial and error most of the time. :(

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
No worries, my fault for messing it up in the first place!

Looks like the network graph is responding normally now, and I think it looks normal. I'm still sure any pulls from that branch will replicate the 70-80 referenced commits tho, which is annoying. Not sure I'd want that permanently in the source tree. Might tinker a bit later with a better approach.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Okay, to err on the side of clean I redid the changes in my master branch with the latest first fulled from begla/develop

Submitted a pull request to get it merged in so it can stop causing me headaches :)