Resolved Grass Coloring

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
I was playing around with the new override functionality and discovered some (weird) issues on the dynamic grass coloring.
The main problem seems to be different shading of the top and the sides (see the screenshot attached).
I edited the effects.png to have different grey values, but that does not seem to matter anyways.

130124204009929.pngeffects.png

begla, Immortius, do you have any idea how to fix this? Change the way how the dynamic coloring is done?

begla

Project Founder and Lead Developer
Contributor
Architecture
Logistics
The texture fragment in the effects texture is interpreted as a mask - not as an additive or multiplicative factor. As far as I remember it is just used as a hint where the colorable part of the default grass side blocks is. I think only the alpha value (color.a > 0.1) is interpreted.

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Yap begla, that's true, but still the top and side colors are different when the texture itself is colored. I used the same texture for grass.png and grassSide.png both times, in the first with green grass and in the second with completely desaturated grass (greyscale). The desaturated version looks fine, but then you get a gray icon in the toolbar, which is not very pleasant. Can you expand the color grading to the icon in the toolbar?

• 130205231902539.jpg With green texture;
  • 130205232307147.jpg With desaturated texture.
And I have another question, probably at Immortius: Is the asset override only for blockTiles/, or should it be useable for textures/ as well, say the effects.png?

Immortius

Lead Software Architect
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
It should work for all assets. Including prefabs too, probably.

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Hmmm, alright. I've got the following directory structure for my texture pack tests, but it does not override the effects.png
Code:
|  mod.txt
|
+---.idea
|      TP-test.iml
|
\---overrides
    \---engine
        +---blockTiles   
        |      grass.png
        |      grassSide.png
        |
        \---textures
                effects.png
130206100831539.jpg effects.png

Attachments

Immortius

Lead Software Architect
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
Hmm, the problem is probably that the effects is loaded before a world is loaded (and thus before modules + overrides are available), due to being used by a shader using the old shader system. And whichever version is loaded first sticks because asset unloading isn't implemented yet.