Greetings from Greece

giorgos_p92

Good Morning everyone,
My name is Giorgos and i am a student in Athens University of Economics and Business. For a school project i have to contribute to an open source project so i chose Terasology. Actually i was very impressed when i found it because its open source(unlike minecraft) and faaar better on graphics and almost everything :D .

Anyway, i haven't decided the kind of contribution that i will try to make, and i want a little help. My main language is java. I have made simple programs with java, and also a lot of Servlets and Jsp's for an electronic store(also a school assignment). Except of java i know html/css and a little bit of Sql.

When i downloaded the project from Github i noticed that there is a branch for multiplayer. Generally i love networks and that kind of stuff, and i might want to get involved there. But i'm waiting for suggestions from you!:)

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Hey giorgos_p92, welcome on board! :D

If you are interested in multiplayer development, you should contact Immortius.

A (more or less up to date) list of different project areas can be found in the incubator (things that are work in progress atm - Project State) and in the developer forums (kind of project overview, including wiki/documentation, ... - Project Overview).

I suggest the best way for you to go on is to find the field you are most interested in, and if that areas has a curator or main developer already, contact him - if not, feel free to start right ahead ;)

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hey giorgos_p92 - good to see your intro post! :)

Multiplayer is indeed in progress although it might be a little longer before more than one person can work on it at once - Immortius is knee-deep in the code there and in a hypnotic trance of sheer focus. When it is more stable and there's stuff for others to help with he'll probably post an update in the multiplayer incubator thread :)

Networking is fairly complex, if you're up for something at that degree some of the block / chunk handling code could use some attention. Panserbjoern was working on some fancy code involving stackable chunks but has gotten too busy to work on it for a while :(

Both those are big topics though. I'd suggest going through the Dev Setup first then try to commit something tiny to validate that you're set up and able to go through the whole process. Maybe look at contributor friendly issues on GitHub :)

giorgos_p92

Thanks guys for the welcome replies!!
Ok, i will run through the dev setup for getting started with the programming.
And then i'll contact Immortius for more details on multiplayer development and if this doesn't work out i'll try another direction on Terasology.
Many Thanks again!!:)