GSOC 2015

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
So organization applications for GSOC 2015 starts in just more than a week from now, and closes in about three. I'll set us up like last year and have just dusted off our ideas page, adding two new items.

While there is no formal dev meeting tomorrow (Saturday) I'll be around for office hours and might poke some people for ideas page feedback + consideration as contact person/mentor. I tweaked the ideas page some but mostly it is the same including people who may not be relevant/around anymore, or we could be lacking new people in the list.

Just like last year if I listed you it doesn't mean you're committed to anything! Just that your name stuck out to me when thinking about that feature :D

More details later, hopefully :)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Alas, got the same old rejection notification today :(

I had our ideas page checked once or twice on IRC again this year, and it still looked fine. It is going to be simple numbers again.

The feedback meeting is at 16:00 UTC this Friday, queue up at 15:30. I don't expect to learn anything new though. It is a roll of the dice - applicants nearly set another record.

@Mike Kienenberger pointed out that there is also Semester of Code. Google has another entry as well, Google Code-In. We can keep applying and we'll get into something eventually :) Would help to have a dedicated person for it and other outreach efforts though, hint hint anybody interested! :D

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Feedback as expected, although with less emphasis on the vouching even mattering in the first place. Oh well :)

Hi Rasmus,

Your app and ideas page are both solid. As you probably know, we have to make hard decisions each year with our organization selection, and we had the same situation this year as we only accepted 137 orgs (which is less than 1/3 of the orgs that applied). We try to accept a good number of new orgs each year to help spread the GSoC love around and this year there were a lot of new orgs with solid ideas page so it just came down to us only being able to choose a handful.
The vouching is not why you were rejected this year, it is a good thing to have but not a game changer so please don't stress over that. We also try to limit the number of orgs in different categories each year and we already had the max number of gaming orgs this year.
We encourage you to apply again next year.

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Somehow sad, although it helps to know there is not much more we can do about it ... I'll need to check out which gaming orgs were accepted (this time and last year) and see how much has changed.

Code-In looks nice for the "easier" tasks, such as porting existing systems to Java (thinking about the Python tree generator or the C++ PlaTec simulation). Maybe a new entry covering "enhance documentation with samples and tutorials" would be another possible option for pre-university students (like the tutorial world gen, etc., maybe a bit more in-depth and covering more aspects of the game).

Semester of Code (SoC) seems to be targeting a more professional level, although it likely depends on how we present ourselves :D We have some students and university members in our ranks, and @synopia recently thought about doing a talk about the entity system... So much possibilities ;)

metouto

Contributor
Art
There is a baseball team here in the United States who have not won the World Series in many many many years and their fans have got a saying that applies here ....... the team is the Chicago Cubs ....... the saying is ...... "wait until next year .... you'll see"

But Skaldarnar is right ....... "so much possibilities" .... (I just wish that I understood more so I could help more) .......

......... :omg:so much possibilities ......... wait until next year .... you'll see :omg: ........:coffee: