Health Overhaul - GSoC 2019

e-aakash

Contributor
This thread is regarding the Restoration 100 GSoC'19 Project

Summary: Extracting Health from the Core module with an additional split between natural (regeneration) and magical (restoration) types of healing. Possible additional refactoring to make a more generic architecture / best practices available for similar point systems.
Mentors: Jellysnake, Iaron, Arpan, Michael, Cervator
Student: e-aakash
Github: Project #16
Slack: #restoration-100
Blog: https://e-aakash.github.io/
Proposal: Restoration 100(pdf)

e-aakash

Contributor
Week 1
Please have a look at my blog post for details

What did I do in the first week?
While starting the week with PointPool module, which will track all "point" based systems, I moved on to extraction of Health from core in the latter part of the week. This was the result of the discussion on which way to implement the point system. The conclusion was to move it down the timeline so that I can gain more insights on such systems by working on the Health System. So I moved the healing set of events from the core to the Health Module and added some docs and test.

What happened in the meet
After having a look at the project board, the progress made so far was looked upon. With me encountering zero resistance Covenant forces (=> no obstacles), the meet was brief. The result was that the pool implementation be shifted further down the timeline, and early usage and refactoring of Potions for testing out Health system.

What next
The plan is to completely extract out health system and events from the core by the end of the upcoming week. And of course, add docs and tests for them.

e-aakash

Contributor
Week 2
Please have a look at my blog post for details

What did I do in the second week?
After the heal events PR was merged, the next work was to extract the damage event. The next step was to add Health HUD and the block damage effect in the Health module. Since this was (almost) done with a day left in the week, I started working on refactoring Potions module to depend on the Health module, to test its working.

What happened at the meet
After having a look at the project board, the progress made so far was looked upon. "A wild bug appeared" a day before the meet, which was (thankfully) captured before the meet. So, moving ahead in the timeline was suggested.

What next
After refactoring and making sure the new Health module works as intended, the next step is to work on the new set of events.