Hello!

Nate-Devv

Contributor
  • Name: Nathan "Nate-Devv" Moore
  • Social: Github: Nate-Devv
  • Skills / Tools: Python, Spanish, Japanese, and little bits of Blender, C++, Java, and Lua
  • Found via: Mintest Forums
  • Interests: Expanding my skillsets and contributing to libre software
  • IDE: Eclipse 3.8.0, Java 7.
  • Extra: None

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Welcome! Nice to see you in the forum :)

You know Japanese? That's one language and keyboard layout (if unique) we haven't encountered much yet! Could be fun to support sometime :D

Nate-Devv

Contributor
In truth, I am really just learning both Spanish and Japanese. Support would be really fun to implement down the line. I can't start work on anything that would require me to run java 7 yet, due to the lack of operating system support (building the JDK is way too much of a pain). Once I can do that tests can happen on the game and I can afford to make major changes that need to be tested. So glad to have found this and can't wait to see where it goes!

Nate-Devv

Contributor
New idea! A python (or other language) script (sort of like a preprocesor) that you define values for, such as:
Code:
java=7
In the code, there could be blocks such as:
Code:
#if java >= 7 ... #endif
that coule be parsed, editing the code to comply with a certan version of java. That way, we could have optimizations for newer versions of java (think 8 or 9), but still have old code options availible to those who have an older version (could work for anything). I am a student, but in my free time I could work on this before I have the oportunity to work on the code with java 7 support only.

Mike Kienenberger

Contributor
Architecture
GUI
I can't start work on anything that would require me to run java 7 yet, due to the lack of operating system support (building the JDK is way too much of a pain).
You shouldn't have to build java 7 on linux.

You should be able to install openjdk 7 as part of your package management system. Or you can download Oracle's java directly as an archive and unpack it wherever you like (I just did this earlier this week because I still need Oracle java 1.6 installed for a work project, and the normal 1.7 install removes it).

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Oho, a rarer OS combo? Potential for both great challenges and great disasters! :D

Generally I think we want to stay away from injecting any complexity to support something like Java 6 - in particular because we don't control our dependencies so if just one requires Java 7 no amount of conditional code will save us :geek:

Try out the suggestions from Mike Kienenberger and see if you can't just sort out Java 7, then focus on more fun stuff like translation frameworks :)

Nate-Devv

Contributor
Ok, I think I understand. I am going to see what trouble I can get into mixing Gnewsense Parkes and Debian Wheezy while I wait for the Gnewsense team to release GNS 4. Gnewsense 3 is based on Squeeze, so OpenJDK 7 is not in the repos. I won't use Oracle J7 because that defeats the whole purpose of GNS. Can't wait to see how it all turns out!

Nate-Devv

Contributor
Cool! I think openjdk 7 will work now. Probably can't work on it during the week, but I can definately start major, fun things on Friday. I can not wait to start working on the project.

P.S. From what I've seen so far, the graphics are amazing. Pre-Alpha no less! You have all done a fine job on the project!

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Hey Nate-Devv, are you interested to be part of GSoC 2014 by chance? :D

When I first read that you've got some experience in Python I had to think of the Organic Growth Simulator which is written in Python and needs a Java port ;)

It is part of our GSoC Proposals with attached GitHub Issue #218, Forum Thread and external description. So just enough background information to get started :) Furthermore, sample code is available at GitHub repo cfkurtz/TerasologyTrees.

Nate-Devv

Contributor
As much as I'd love to (sounds really cool), I fail to be old enough for the GSoC:( . However, it is certainly something to consider working on. I can, however, look into it on my off time and see what I come up with.