Contributor Helloez Allz!

Anthodeus

Contributor
  • Name: Razvan "Anthodeus" Mincu
  • Social: github and linkedIn
  • From: I'm from Romania, the home of vampires or whatever else we have as a stereotype :) ( although my friends define the whole Eastern Europe as Russia :( )
  • Skills / Tools: I have worked lately with a lot of C# and C++, C comes in a close third, I've scripted my way a bit with js and a bit of CSS ( I didn't like how some add-ons looked, so I made my own versions and used them with greasemonkey ). I have worked with Java as well, but I lagged behind C# with it.
    As for tools, I haven't used git all that much, so I'll be asking around about it, if anything just to be sure I'm doing stuff correctly. Other than that tortoise SVN (for some Java projects and Garry's Mod) and Perforce (for work) are other tools I could relate to.
    For developing I've used eclipse for Java, liclipse for Python, visual studio for C++ and C#, dev-Cpp for C and FreePascal for, you guessed it , good ol' Pascal ( which I also have a sort of snake game in on my linkedIn )
    I've worked, am working, and still want to work more on games of different calibers and complexities, as well as make everything as efficient as I can, from mechanics (my fave :love: ) to graphics, and animation and audio syncing
  • Found via: I found it via the GSoC program, and so did my friends ( via me :D )
  • Interests: Simply put, I love games; in general. They take your mind off things, they get you ready for other tasks, they teach you, they make you think, they make you become competitive, they bring people together; they can do pretty much anything I can think that I want ( from a sitting at a computer standpoint)
    Besides just liking how the game looks ( gratz with the visuals :) ), I like the idea of being able to work on a project like this ( I've played Dungeon Keeper [only 1, the second one didn't really capture the essence of the first one imo] and quite a bit of Minecraft [after doing most redstone circuits, doors and bridges, went out for some mods, never came back]; but I only heard and saw Dwarf Fortress, although all I've been hearing about it is that it's awesome ) , learning from other people (perspectives/approaches), and generally creating something in game that will be part of that game (which I know not everything will be; but plot twist - here you can choose otherwise :D ) is awesome. I'm not even sure where I'd like to start, but anything that is related to mechanics would be a good start for me.
  • Extra: Not sure how much of the above I should've written here, but anyway; I'm working at Ubisoft as a programmer, and I've been enjoying every moment of my job here. I'm and undergraduate in System Engineering @ Politehnica Bucharest, and currently working on a project related to robot swarms ( don't worry, they won't bite... unless I program them to :devil:)
    Also, mlp emotes :omg:. Never thought I'd see some of these anywhere. Gonna use them from now on :twilightsmile:

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hi @Anthodeus nice intro, and thanks for the kind words :)

And haha yeah way back years ago at the peak of the MLP craze we had one particularly enthusiastic fellow so I ended up throwing a quick emoticon set together for the occasion. Sourced it from EVE University's forum where it was all the rage too :scootangel:

Just to be sure, are you actually wanting to apply for a GSOC slot, or you just found us that way? If you're already working for Ubisoft with that much XP and skills it sounds like you've got it made already, even if you're still an undergrad :geek: Any particular part of the game you'd like to work on?

In either case we are happy to help learn more skills and tools like Git :coffee:

If you haven't already try to grab the source and run the game that way, doc is in the readme + wiki on GitHub. Then consider checking out the contributor friendly category in the issue tracker there for something simple to poke at to get started, or just review some modules and make edits to see how that works.

Edit: Also check our main GSOC thread. Let me know when you've got some swarming vampire robots working! :)

Last edited:

Anthodeus

Contributor
Heyo @Cervator ,

I do want to apply for a GSoC slot, but as far as particular parts of the project, I'm still looking into how everything works and trying different modules out to see what's what and how it would work :pinkiehappy:. I will look up some issues and maybe even solve something before submitting the actual GSoC proposal, but first getting familiarized :twilightsmile:.

I did use both the launcher and got the source code as well as IntelliJ, and got everything running smoothly on that front as well. It's just a matter of understanding git and getting accustomed and I'll submitting a couple of fixes in a couple days time.

I'll be back with more details and better understanding of the flow by tomorrow, or at least I hope so :flutteryay:

Anthodeus

Contributor
Hey guys,

I wanted to say that I've submitted a draft for the physics combat system, and I would like some feedback for the proposal if at all possible :fluttersquee:. I'm open to any ideas or improvements, and I will add stuff to the proposal if requested.

I've set everything in the environment up, read most of the documentation I could run across and fiddle with the project a little. Debug mode is my friend, but he's being a bit awkward about it. I've had quite a few issues with the compiler jumping all over the place, and stepping just made it worse. I'm still looking into this, suspecting it's and IDE problem ( I didn't change that much of the code ). After that I'm hoping my event listeners get triggered and everything goes well :twilightblush:. I'll have to get back on IRC, as I've know the targets for my questions, but only got around to trying stuff myself before asking away ( at least I should do what I can myself before asking other people )

I'm still hyped about all the possibilities are with the combat system, I was hoping to have a chat with a few members to see what they consider a good approach. I'm not sure if I should do that on IRC or a forum thread though. Any thoughts?

Cheers!

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I can confirm I see the proposal @Anthodeus :) It is pretty big and I don't quite have time for a solid review yet, but then I'm not a primary mentor either. Hopefully you can get a bit more time with the code to learn the related areas before the deadline, your timeline has a focus for that after the deadline but it seems knowing some of that stuff is vital in preparing the proposal in the first place :)

I do love the ideas and really hope to see some activity on this topic, be it through GSOC or not.

Have you spotted anything small on GitHub you could try to complete before the proposal deadline? Doesn't have to relate, but helps show you're on top of how the whole process of contributing works.

Anthodeus

Contributor
I did actually. I've been working on #2139 and I've been surprised about how convenient the editor is. Everything runs great until I need to debug, when nothing works properly. As I've said on the issue thread, I wanted items that are thrown really fast (rocks are an example) to not have proper collisions unless they either slow down or settle. Another issue that looked interesting to play with at least was #2218 where I've implemented the throwing of items I hover over with the 'q' key (as per minecraft - because I didn't see it work like that here), but not what the task asks for in detail, so I'm working on that as well.

I got fairly familiar with the systems by just reading documentation, but of course I know that's not enough. Even so, I've sketched ideas about how I would implement my plans with currently understood systems, and I'm likely going to change it as I dig around the code a bit.

Even if I don't get accepted to the program, I'll surely work on these systems. As soon as I get intelliJ running (debugging) as it should, I'm not going to hold back :twilightsmile:.

Anthodeus

Contributor
I'm having quite a few issues with the IDE. It's completely disregarding any code I write, even after I invalidated the cache and rebuilt.:ajsleepy:
These are the most bare-bone methods I could do, and even so they don't work http://imgur.com/a/iBMzn
I'm in a complete haze as to if it is from intelliJ or something else I might be doing wrong. I've tried putting the game on my work computer but it's a wall of errors over there :pinkiecrazy:(I'm guessing some security that's installed is interacting with it).
Does anybody have (or can make) a small guide to adding an event listener that can be debugged? I'd be really thankful (I'm also not sure where to ask about this for more details, except IRC where it's hit and miss)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Good to know you're making progress, less good to know about the troubleshooting woes! :)

It looks like you have a fair amount of modules present in binary form, and other errors related to bytecode not matching. Try to delete all module jars and just run with plain old Core or a single independent module of some sort. Try running from gradlew (like "gradlew clean game") with IntelliJ to see if it'll better build everything and run right, then you could try next to run in debug mode from inside IntelliJ. Try to regenerate IntelliJ project files and make sure everything under Project Structure looks right (correct SDK, everything registered as a module)

If not just keep trying IRC, it is the best way to figure these kinds of issues out for sure :)

There are several nice tutorials as well to look at on GitHub (check the wiki) for examples and other tricks.

Anthodeus

Contributor
Wowie zowie, everything actually worked by just not installing other modules. Made it a clean slate, just put random code and presto, works like a charm, Thanks for the tip on not installing the mods :flutteryay:.
The code worked first try, breakpoint triggered and everything. I'm starting to like this IDE now :twilightblush:.
I fixed a problem where if you'd die before you threw something, the power bar would stay on the HUD. Nieche bug, but a bug nonetheless.
Next up, the world :omg:. Well, I'll try more stuff on the no-mods game at least. I will later see what's what and how they impact the game/IDE, but until then, I'll stick to my guns and have everything working thank you very much :scootangel:

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Nice bug fix! PR it already so we can merge it :D Well, when I actually catch up with merging PRs ... ;)