Heroku price changes - no longer an option for small 24/7 stuff?

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I got an email notification about changes to pricing structures on Heroku:

https://blog.heroku.com/archives/2015/5/7/new-dyno-types-public-beta

I believe free accounts will transfer into a new free version that if I'm reading right will be unable to stay online 24/7 even if doing extremely little work - you can only use max 18 hours a day. Previously I believe @AlbireoX was using a ping trick to keep Gooey "awake" to keep the IRC connection persistent 24/7 (would otherwise time out and disconnect)

@msteiger - wouldn't this affect the master server list as well? Losing 6 hours a day is a bit of a death blow to the free option on that service, I figured they could let the free ones go 24/7 with heavy restrictions, but I guess no more.

Heroku pricing is kinda whack in general, their biggest option (out of three) is nearly $600/month, you can get better stats on DigitalOcean at $80/month. We can easily run Gooey, the master server, and other small stuff on a single $5/month droplet, or more likely just toss them on an existing server that isn't struggling, like the forum here. Bandwidth/stability isn't likely to be an issue for ages.

Alternatively I think there are still free options on Google Apps, although maybe that takes a bit more setup than just git push to Heroku, which was always nice.

The change is already going live in slightly more than two weeks so we really gotta move on @Gooey already. Last I tinkered I got to where I could install and run a fresh Hubot via a Chef cookbook pretty easily, just need to tidy it up then start enabling/configuring scripts and maybe the adapter for Slack in addition to IRC - which is something I really need to drop on somebody else. I can help get started though.

@nh_99 - ohai! @PrivateAlpha - ping! :scootangel:

Last edited:

msteiger

Contributor
World
Architecture
Logistics
Good catch! I just read over the announcement briefly and didn't spot the 18 hours/day limitation. The blog says that there will be a 2 month period where only warnings are issued to let people know that their dynos are over the daily time limit. I think we should ..
  • .. update the default URL in NetworkConfig.java to terasology.org/master-server and make that URL redirect traffic to somewhere else. This way we can change the actual server URL easily in the future.
  • .. leave Heroku hosting behind and host it on a droplet. The traffic is almost zero.
  • .. also move the PostgreSQL database (owned by Heroku, but hosted at Amazon) and either host it on a droplet or directly on Amazon.